+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ancestry Citizenship?

Canada53

Jan 29, 2021
The issue is more about what your grandmother was doing at the time of your father's birth, than it is about whether or not your father had Canadian citizenship at the time of your birth. For instance, I was born abroad to two Canadians (this makes me first generation born abroad - I am Canadian by descent). My child was subsequently also born abroad (this makes my child second generation born abroad - not Canadian by descent); however, since my father at the time of my birth abroad was a crown servant, I was able to prove this which led to my child receiving Canadian citizenship under Bill C-24.

I hope this makes sense :)
Hi, Can i ask you a question as your scenario you describe above is similar to mine. At the time of my parent's birth (abroad) their parent (my Canadian grandfather) was serving abroad as a Crown Servant in the Canadian Army during WW2, and i was born abroad. I think i qualify for Canadian citizenship. But i was wondering what proof you provided for your child to get citizenship as you proved your father was a Crown servant? I have got some paperwork direct from the regiment but i have also asked Library and Archives Canada for his full service record but they think it will take 2 years! Also, does my parent need to apply for citizenship first or do i qualify through my grandfather? I ask you as i think you have some experience in a scenario the same as mine. Many thanks.