+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ancestral Visa or Passport

mdcdtaylor

Apr 19, 2016
Hi i need help with advice as to how i can apply to immigrate into Canada.

what are the best options of apply for a ancestral Visa or Canadian Passport ?

i am currently living in South Africa. My Grandmother is a Canadian Citizen by birth as she was born in 16 December in 1928 in Montreal in Canada. I therefore i wish to know how to apply to immigrate into Canada.

My grandmother holds a UK passport as well as my Father.

My father is a Rhodesian Born British Citizen and his father my grandfather is British born citizen in the UK.

what are my chances of applying for a Passport or Ancestral Visa? please Advice

please advice me what my options are so that i can take the first step forward.

thanks 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
Are any of parents Canadian? In Canada they go by the status of the parents if you weren't born in Canada.

The status of your parents is more important in this case. In 2009 they changed the rules to limit "citizenship by descent" to only 1 generation so you have to ask your parents if they have retained Canadian citizenship status.

In Canada there's no Ancestry Visa like in the UK. There's this link from CIC worth checking out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/index.asp

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before 1977, only fathers (not mothers) could pass citizenship on to their children born in wedlock. So, your father did not inherit Canadian citizenship until 2009, at which time citizenship by descent was limited to the first generation born abroad. So, while you are not a Canadian citizen, your grandmother and her children are. However, that doesn't provide you with any special rights to immigrate to Canada.

mdcdtaylor

Apr 19, 2016
Ancestral Visa or Passport

hi Lux et Veritas

thanks for the reply

No my father has never applied for a Canadian Passport or Ancestral visa through his mother. as my fathers mother is the Canadian born Citizen. where in my father is a Rhodesian born legal Uk citizen. my father has no interest in Canada.

i my self i am interested in Canada but i can only apply for my UK passport through my father. who holds a UK passport as well
therefore i do not know what Canadian immigration policy are for those who hold a UK passport

if you could provide me further details on what the immigration policy for UK passport holders. i would be delighted

thanks 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mdcdtaylor said:
if you could provide me further details on what the immigration policy for UK passport holders. i would be delighted
The process for applying for permanent residency is the same regardless of what passport you hold. Holding a UK passport doesn't give you any special privileges when it comes to the PR application process. You can read about Canada's immigration programs in detail here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mdcdtaylor said:
my father has no interest in Canada.
Whether he is interested or not, he is a Canadian citizen. Inheriting British citizenship through your father doesn't give you any special visa or right to immigrate to Canada.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
alphazip said:
Whether he is interested or not, he is a Canadian citizen. Inheriting British citizenship through your father doesn't give you any special visa or right to immigrate to Canada.
No, but you get the much exaggerated and mostly symbolic status of "Commonwealth Citizen" in Canada. Still trying to figure out what that's good for.....

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
mdcdtaylor said:
hi Lux et Veritas

thanks for the reply

No my father has never applied for a Canadian Passport or Ancestral visa through his mother. as my fathers mother is the Canadian born Citizen. where in my father is a Rhodesian born legal Uk citizen. my father has no interest in Canada.

i my self i am interested in Canada but i can only apply for my UK passport through my father. who holds a UK passport as well
therefore i do not know what Canadian immigration policy are for those who hold a UK passport

thanks 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Hi mate,

As the others said being a UK citizen doesn't grant you extra privileges when applying to immigrate to Canada. I had to do it like everyone else (apply for PR, spend time, apply for citizenship, test, etc.).

Another option would be if you can come to Canada on a working holiday visa (I think it's called IEC in Canada) (depends on your age), and secure a job that would allow you to then reside in Canada whilst applying for PR to speed up the process.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
No, but you get the much exaggerated and mostly symbolic status of "Commonwealth Citizen" in Canada. Still trying to figure out what that's good for.....
These days, not much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_citizen