+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An example of the stupidity of the LMO system

uncrase

Nov 3, 2009
I just wanted to write this to share an example of how the LMO system does not work:

At the moment (after the 3rd rejection, and wasting almost a year) my friend has given up trying to stay in Canada. She had already pushed the patience of her prospective employer. We'll try other more sane options.

The problem with LMO was that the position her employer wanted to hire her for, was in between 2 NOC codes. I know that sounds weird, but it's very crucial.

My friend is a Graduate Architect. That means she has the education (BArch), but not yet licensed or with enough formal training to be a recognized architect (NOC 2151).

So her prospective employer wants to hire her as a Graduate Architect: They want someone who can start junior, assisting an Architect and eventually become an Architect. Well, since she's not an Architect yet, they can't hire her under NOC 2151.
So instead they tried posting ads for a Architectural Technologist (2251), which is basically one level below an Architect. That person needs to perform many of the same duties as a technologist. HOWEVER that person also needs to have a BArch to be able to grow into the role of fully fledged Architect.

So, her employer advertises for NOC 2251, + require BArch + experience with this, and that...etc

Well, says LMO, NOC 2251 does not require BArch, so you can't post this, we will not accept.
Basically they are not accepting the employers reasoning that they need someone with a BArch since otherwise that person can not grow far enough in the company.

My 2 cents. Feedback or opinions are welcome.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
That's very aggravating, agreed. But after a few minutes with Google, I came to the conclusion that the NOC code should be NOC 2151 - Architect. It's really unfortunate that the employer didn't do his/her homework.

If your friend needs to complete the internship requirement for licensing, the position should be architectural intern, NOC 2151.

1) search online job sites - if you search for architectural intern positions, you will find them advertised as NOC 2151.

2) search the NOC site - I realize that there is no "architectural intern" on the NOC site. However, if you search using "intern" you'll see that the "intern" titles are listed under the same NOC as the fully licensed professional title. E.g. "Counseling intern" is listed under the NOC for counselor. I realize this seems to contradict the licensing requirements, but there it is. You will find the same thing for apprentices - e.g. "carpenter apprentice" is listed under the NOC for carpenter.

Unfortunately, when our employers are not used to hiring foreign workers, it's often up to us to become the experts...