+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An ethnic-sounding name hinders my chances of getting interviews?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've heard about ATSs but wasn't aware of just how prevalent these systems were. I've alway been under the impression that only big companies use these systems - companies that would receive hundreds of thousands of applications for one opening. And frankly, I think these systems are bad, and the use of such a system can only be justified for high volumes of applications companies receive. The key words are selected objectively, so it is essentially a guessing game.

In this particular case, it was an accounting related position, and the hiring company wasn't a particularly big one. Obviously my resume had all relevant accounting terms, software names, as well as some common soft skill terms. Honestly, I couldn't think of any terms or key words that the recruiter was looking for but were not shown up in my resume. I also met their experience requirement. Also, I wrote a completely new cover letter for this position explaining how my skills match their requirements.

Unless I so gravely misunderstood how this ATS thing works, I couldn't seem to pinpoint where I did wrong.
You should tailor your CV or cover letter for each position.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've heard about ATSs but wasn't aware of just how prevalent these systems were. I've alway been under the impression that only big companies use these systems - companies that would receive hundreds of thousands of applications for one opening. And frankly, I think these systems are bad, and the use of such a system can only be justified for high volumes of applications companies receive. The key words are selected objectively, so it is essentially a guessing game.

In this particular case, it was an accounting related position, and the hiring company wasn't a particularly big one. Obviously my resume had all relevant accounting terms, software names, as well as some common soft skill terms. Honestly, I couldn't think of any terms or key words that the recruiter was looking for but were not shown up in my resume. I also met their experience requirement. Also, I wrote a completely new cover letter for this position explaining how my skills match their requirements.

Unless I so gravely misunderstood how this ATS thing works, I couldn't seem to pinpoint where I did wrong.
This is just my opinion:

I can only imagine that those nice positions have huge amounts of resumes. Half of it is a complete trash (it has little to nothing to do with the position), but it just bulks it up.
And that is even for less desirable positions.
Now imagine being an HR with a limited time and trying to read 200 - 300 CV for one position and day. And of course you still have your other duties.
You do not want spend time with trash, so you just go for simple keywords match.
So what do you do to save the time?
The manager of that department already told you what that person must be. those 4 or 5 most important words (or maybe 10 it the position is higher up).
Most of them are part of the ad, but alas some might not be there. Or they are not just there in that specific way. And when it comes to computer, they do not recognize something like a slightly different word (yes you can have more intelligent program which costs more, while simple word search is much easier).
So now you can imagine a very basic search done in windows (HR puts all resume in one folder, searches word1, deletes all that do not have it, searches word2... and you get the picture).

Another aspect is timing.
From possible job offers you have 2 kinds:
1. Real offer where they need hire somebody from outside.
2. Bogus offer, where they already have an internal candidate, but because of some internal rules, they have to advertise.

In case of the second one, you are just the "bushes in the background" and they might go after weaker resumes just to show how their internal pick is the best.
And also the first type can at any time change to the second type.
Also that first type can disappear within just few days, but the offer stays online for over a month, also there is no opening anymore. So what will they do. They will put an automated answering system that you do not meet the requirements. (or they put nothing). So it does not have much sense to answer to something what is old.

Another thing that might not be correct is how you approach your social network. Trust me people are selfish and greedy, and they are not very motivated to tell you stuff or to get your resume up to the HR.
But they are more likely to tell about some stuff that happened to their kids and thing and oh in work what is going on and how Sally from accounting is going to retire.
And that is the moment where you shall sharpen your ear and maybe ask a little bit more.
So that way the other person does not feel to give you too much, but you know that somebody is leaving there soon, so they are above to post a job offer.
That is your time to shine. Not only, you can send your resume early with much higher chance to be read, but you also know a bit about the company, thanks to your 'whining" connection, so you can add in things they like to hear.
So that is how it works.

Jun 6, 2018
Vensak, thanks for replying. Quite an interesting post. I'm absolutely appalled at the hiring practices you described here. Shocking and distasteful.

May I ask if you work in HR, or have experience with recruitment?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vensak, thanks for replying. Quite an interesting post. I'm absolutely appalled at the hiring practices you described here. Shocking and distasteful.

May I ask if you work in HR, or have experience with recruitment?
Those are world wide practices.
There is nothing shocking there.

those are world wide practices.
You shall understand that HR does not just read resumes whole day. He or she has to do lot of other tasks, so there is barely a time for that. Maybe lets say 30 to 60 min. And just how many resumes or cover letter soap operas can you read?
Not that many, so you just do not want to waste time with potential waste of time. That's why word search is the easiest option (don't we all use it when searching in Google?)

And that bogus posts exists? Of course they do. All you need is to check the famous job bank.

As for the offer to be let there rotten even if the job is taken, I have witnessed it here in Canada.

And when commenting why people are reluctant.
Well if they take your resume in and if ever they will hire you and you will make problems there.
That means problems for them. And that is regardless if law forbids it. It will stay in mind for a long time.
So of course nobody wants to do that (put your own reputation on stake), unless they know you really well.
And we do not have that many best friends in life.
But if you use the info they give you. And you apply on your own. Then it has nothing to do with them. So much easier situation for them.

So what you need in simple words are some people (but god forbid you would start asking for jobs righ away). And there you would just share how is life. and at some moment you might get a hint that this or that is happening and then you can act.

Sad, but thats how it is.