+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An alternative title for administrative assistant

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Hello all seniors and all people who is struggling with the new CEC update.

I am currently under the title" administrative assistant", and most of my friends are also under this title, too.
I have heard so many complains about the new policy, but I really don't think the complains can make any differences on the decision of immigration department.

So I have been searching the NOC code for similar titles, found out the assistant manager and office supervisor might be the alternatives, but not sure which one is better ( I am working at a car rental/dealer company).

Don't worry about the duties I do, I am kinda doing all manager/supervisor/technical/office things.
I am just wondering which title is more plausible for a car rental/dealer company.

Or if you have a better choice, please let me know:)

Thanks a lot

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
One of my friend chose Assistant manager.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
The duties are more important than job title.

You really need to be careful though as CIc will be paying close attention for people trying to get in under different nocs

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
lpc19800 said:
The duties are more important than job title.

You really need to be careful though as CIc will be paying close attention for people trying to get in under different nocs
Thanks for replying,

I know your concern, but actually, I am doing too many things, reception, phone taking, stock management, marketing research, scheduling working hours for our staff etc, so I think I am eligible for using manager/supervisor as my title. The reason I didn't use it at first place because my salary is not that high :-X

I can talk to my boss on my salary, not a big deal. The biggest problem is a right title for me, and also make sense to my company's type.

Plus, my major was psychology, so I guess the assistant manager is a better fit because it includes some human resource work:)

Thanks

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Fate69 said:
Thanks for replying,

I know your concern, but actually, I am doing too many things, reception, phone taking, stock management, marketing research, scheduling working hours for our staff etc, so I think I am eligible for using manager/supervisor as my title. The reason I didn't use it at first place because my salary is not that high :-X

I can talk to my boss on my salary, not a big deal. The biggest problem is a right title for me, and also make sense to my company's type.

Plus, my major was psychology, so I guess the assistant manager is a better fit because it includes some human resource work:)

Thanks
It comes down to your duties. If u have admin duties but office supervisor role it will be denied. Do proper research on eligible titles before using them.
Good luck

Gooner14

Nov 13, 2013
gladaki said:
It comes down to your duties. If u have admin duties but office supervisor role it will be denied. Do proper research on eligible titles before using them.
Good luck
I'm in the same boat.

Will the following job duties qualify under any other NOC?

Job Duties List:

Audit, process and track commercial VISA card expense reports and report to Director of Business Development for authorization.

Co-ordinate and plan for office services, such as accommodation, relocations, equipment, supplies, forms, disposal of assets, parking, maintenance and security services.

Co-ordinate office administrative procedures and review, evaluate and implement new procedures (business cards, personal stationary and business line name changes).

Process daily deposits and client utility bill payments to/from Investment Management Accounts (IMA) and RRSP accounts.

Compile annual tax-related data and statistics for every investment management team to adhere to compliance standards.

Assemble data and prepare monthly letters and spreadsheets for the bank's monthly Executive Appointments.

Order office supplies and maintain department inventory by meeting allotted monthly budgets.

Process and correspond summaries for invoices related to our monthly expenses.

Assist Private Banking with client-related duties and miscellaneous audit and mid-office tasks.

Cross-train with employees for various tasks in case of vacations and/or absence.

Train and administer office staff with technological changes and policy changes.​

Open, sort and distribute incoming regular mail and electronic faxes. Coordinate the flow of faxed processes with other internal departments

Confirm boardroom reservations, assist with setting up for client meetings and support staff for client appreciation events/seminars.

My title is admin assistant but can I still apply under a supervisor or assistant manager category? The chances of having my title changed are next to impossible so applying under another NOC is my only option. I work for a bank...they'll never bend their HR policies for this.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Gooner14 said:
I'm in the same boat.

Will the following job duties qualify under any other NOC?

Job Duties List:

Audit, process and track commercial VISA card expense reports and report to Director of Business Development for authorization.

Co-ordinate and plan for office services, such as accommodation, relocations, equipment, supplies, forms, disposal of assets, parking, maintenance and security services.

Co-ordinate office administrative procedures and review, evaluate and implement new procedures (business cards, personal stationary and business line name changes).

Process daily deposits and client utility bill payments to/from Investment Management Accounts (IMA) and RRSP accounts.

Compile annual tax-related data and statistics for every investment management team to adhere to compliance standards.

Assemble data and prepare monthly letters and spreadsheets for the bank's monthly Executive Appointments.

Order office supplies and maintain department inventory by meeting allotted monthly budgets.

Process and correspond summaries for invoices related to our monthly expenses.

Assist Private Banking with client-related duties and miscellaneous audit and mid-office tasks.

Cross-train with employees for various tasks in case of vacations and/or absence.

Train and administer office staff with technological changes and policy changes.​

Open, sort and distribute incoming regular mail and electronic faxes. Coordinate the flow of faxed processes with other internal departments

Confirm boardroom reservations, assist with setting up for client meetings and support staff for client appreciation events/seminars.

My title is admin assistant but can I still apply under a supervisor or assistant manager category? The chances of having my title changed are next to impossible so applying under another NOC is my only option. I work for a bank...they'll never bend their HR policies for this.
Do you have anyone reporting into you? Supervisors or managers usually do.
Alternatively do you have ownership of a division or section of the business (ie managing a process rather than people)
Others will also have an opinion - mine right now is that unfortunately the above doesn't qualify for a supervisor or manager noc

Gooner14

Nov 13, 2013
lpc19800 said:
Alternatively do you have ownership of a division or section of the business (ie managing a process rather than people)
Others will also have an opinion - mine right now is that unfortunately the above doesn't qualify for a supervisor or manager noc
I have one person on my team who is a level lower than me. I usually get her to help me with various tasks and she calls me if there's something she doesn't know anything about. But she doesnt report directly to me..so no.

I took this job after i graduated knowing I would be eligible under the CEC. I can't believe the CIC f-ed us over like this.

I'm praying somehow they revoke their new policies. I'm in Ontario but i have looked at all the provinces and I don't think I'd be eligible under any of their nominee programs.

The only small positive thing is that my post grad work permit is valid till march 2015

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gooner14 said:
I have one person on my team who is a level lower than me. I usually get her to help me with various tasks and she calls me if there's something she doesn't know anything about. But she doesnt report directly to me..so no.

I took this job after i graduated knowing I would be eligible under the CEC. I can't believe the CIC f-ed us over like this.

I'm praying somehow they revoke their new policies. I'm in Ontario but i have looked at all the provinces and I don't think I'd be eligible under any of their nominee programs.

The only small positive thing is that my post grad work permit is valid till march 2015
Well that's great - as it allows you the opportunity to gain relevant work experience.

The changes were quick but sadly they will not be revoked - so it's best to focus your efforts on how you should best move forward.

Pichon

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2013
AOR Received.
10-02-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
28-07-2014
Med's Done....
21-08-2014
What is the NOC code for Assistant Manager? I could not find...

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Gooner14 said:
I guess this is one of those cautionary tales. Never assume that skilled migration programs are set in stone. Canadians expect their skilled migration policy to address labour shortages.

Interesting read - http://www.canada.com/Federal+government+pulls+pathway+immigration+from+under+foreign+workers+labour/9157424/story.html

The subtext in the article is that CEC was too permissive by making entire categories of occupations eligible, and that perhaps the doughnut supervisor down at Tim's is something the Canadian labour market is more than ready to provide.

I'm glad for those people who have not put all their eggs in one basket and have a back-up plan for PR.

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
byrwus said:
Fate69.

I am pretty sure your attempt to pass over the problem shows that the real assistant managers and office supervisors are in trouble too.

I have been in Canada for a while, and I havent seen anything like CEC before.

Rules are very unstrict and they really urge cooks to write job descriptions of welders.
I didn't mean to pass over the problem, I just wanted to find a better solution than finding a new job :'(
It is not easy to find a job in metro city like Vancouver, sigh~

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
lpc19800 said:
Actually, I do have few people reporting into me, does that count me as a manager?

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
LPS said:
I guess this is one of those cautionary tales. Never assume that skilled migration programs are set in stone. Canadians expect their skilled migration policy to address labour shortages.

The subtext in the article is that CEC was too permissive by making entire categories of occupations eligible, and that perhaps the doughnut supervisor down at Tim's is something the Canadian labour market is more than ready to provide.

I'm glad for those people who have not put all their eggs in one basket and have a back-up plan for PR.
okay, guess I need to put a big X over all supervisor titles. :'(