+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American visa in old passport

Discussion in 'Visa Offices in North America' started by seeaiirahh, Sep 23, 2019.

  1. Hello everyone! Cant find the answer to this anywhere so thought I'd ask. My friend is a refugee from Venezuela who recently received his permanent resident status here in Canada. He also already has a Canadian travel document. But here's the question. He wants to visit the USA and has a visa in his old passport which he is not allowed to travel with. Can he show the visa and stamp his travel document or does he have to apply for a new USA visa?
  2. He needs a new visa. If he travels with his old passport, his refugee status can be cancelled and his PR revoked. The visa is tied to his old passport so it will show up in the system if he attempts to travel with it.

    This is one of the most common ways approved refugees screw up.You may get away with it, but they can come after you even years later and cancel your PR. Don't risk it.

Share This Page