+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American to Canada Immigration

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
Hello,

I am a 26 year old America and I am very interested in moving to Canada. I have a girl friend up in Edson, AB. I visited her in February and I desperately want to start my life with her and her daughter. My problem is that I will need employment while I am there. I don't have very much money so I cant immigrate through the skilled worker program because I don't have the 10 grand plus my skills are not currently needed. I am a certified teacher.
I don't think marriage will work either because she owes the Canadian government money and I think her sponsorship even if married I fear will be rejected.
My last option is the Alberta Nominee program and it sounds like my best option but I am having a hell of a time finding a job offer near her house in Edson. I am willing to do any work.
While browsing the CIC website I found out that in some cases it maybe possible for me to enter the country as a visitor, apply for a workers permit and then go about finding work. Has anyone ever heard of that working?
I have also heard I could move there as a visitor, look for a job, then go back to the border and apply for a workers permit there with the new job offer and I could start work even faster. My question is if anyone has ever heard of this working or am I just not reading things right?
If I am wrong, can anyone link me or help me out on the best ways to land a job in Canada? I'm running out of time and the whole process is extremely confusing. Thank you in advance.

Matt

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, an American in a relationship with a Canadian. Had we known what I know now, we could have gotten married (which was always the plan) and I could have gotten an open work permit at some point. Long story short, things did not work out. However, I still want to move there and finally have an LMO application in process.

It looks like you've done a lot of research. And I agree that it is all pretty confusing but it looks like you have a pretty good handle on things.

"it maybe possible for me to enter the country as a visitor, apply for a workers permit and then go about finding work. Has anyone ever heard of that working?"

As a US citizen you can visit her for up to 6 months but you would be unable to work until you have a worker's permit. For a WP you need a job offer and a positive LMO. Unfortunately, this is no small task. Although, you *may* have a better shot at someone offering you a job and applying for an LMO if you are actually there. Some people have been waiting for up to 18 weeks for an LMO and some are taking 8 weeks. That is something to consider as well. Of course, you can be back in the US while waiting on it.

As far as getting your work permit at the border, yes you can do that. But you still have to go through the process of having a job offer with a positive LMO.

One other possible option is NAFTA. If you are a college, seminary, or university teacher that is on the list of 60 occupations. You still need a job offer but no LMO is needed. You would just need a letter of the offer and obtain your permit at the border.

You can check out the other occupations and read more about NAFTA in the Temporary Foreign Worker's Manual. Scroll down to page 155 for NAFTA info. The occupations start on page 170. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf

I know it's tough. Been there. I hope this helps a bit. The best thing to do is continue job searching and educate yourself about your options. Write a good cover letter and explain your situation.

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
I'm sorry to be a burden but could you kindly explain the whole LMO thing? Is that something I have to do and apply for? I thought LMO was something the employers had to do. I thought that meant employers had to be labor market opinion approved to hire foreigners. Based on how you used LMO it seems I am incorrect in my thinking. If you would, please explain that for me because I clearly made an error in comprehension. Oh and by the way, thank you so much for the above response. It means a lot to know helpful people still exist. lol

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're correct that the employer needs to apply for the LMO (Labour Market Opinion). Sorry if the wording made it unclear. If you get a job offer then the employer needs to apply for an LMO. If a positive one is received you can apply for your work permit. Hope that helps.

You're welcome. :) Good luck with things!!

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
Thank you again for clearing that up for me. I was starting to get worried haha. I keep reading about companies being short people to hire. Especially in the little towns like the ones I want to move to. I have a BA degree but I'll do anything including flipping burgers if I have to if it means I can be with my family. I have applied for about 30 jobs, some crappy, some good. Any idea how long it might take for them to reply back. Do they reply back often even if they don't wish to give me the job? This is so unbelievably frustrating. I'm trying to do it right so 3 years into immigration they can't say I didn't so this or I didn't do that and force me to start over. Madness, this shouldn't be so difficult for people willing to work hard.

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's good that you're willing to work at any type of job. Employers that have a lot of turnover, such as fast food may be more willing to hire a foreign worker. That is just my opinion. Is there a Tim Horton's there? If you got into a place like that, maybe you could work up to a manager at some point. I believe that is considered skilled and you could try for PR (permanent resident) through AINP or Federal Skilled Worker.

I don't want to discourage you, but I have been applying for YEARS. And I have a BS. I've applied for any old job and jobs in my field. Sometimes it just takes finding the right employer willing to give you a chance. You may or may not hear back about the jobs for which you've applied. I often hear nothing, even if it is something I am highly qualified to do and could come right away through NAFTA.

As far as "doing things right" and not wanting any immigration problems later, there isn't really a right or wrong way. Just don't work illegally or overstay your 6 months there and you should be fine.

I know it's frustrating. All you can really do is continue applying for jobs.

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
I don't want to pry for information. So share only if you would like. But would you go further in explaining what you mentioned about getting married and an open work permit in Canada? You said you would have done things differently if you knew what you know now.

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What I meant by "would have done things differently if you knew what you know now" is that getting married would have made everything much easier. He didn't want us to be married and have to be apart while the sponsorship was being processed. We didn't know how long it would take. I could have stayed with him for up to 6 months but we could not afford for me to not be working. Trying to wade through all the information about Canadian Immigration is overwhelmingly confusing. Unfortunately, I had not yet found this forum. I didn't know that one could obtain a open worker's permit at some point during the process.

Read this: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Leon knows his stuff! :)

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
He certainly does lol, wow that's a giant thread. I still think my best bet is to find employment and then move up there through the nominee program but this is a good second path if we become desperate.

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't necessarily need to go through the nominee program. Although that would be good for you to become a permanent resident. Just try to get ANYthing.

If she is able to move from Edson you should look in other areas as well. That's a pretty small town with limited job opportunities I would imagine.

Yeah, getting married is only a good idea if you are already planning and wanting to do it. :)

Good luck to you!!