+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American outland applicant crossing border to Canada

Cdnpr2017

Dec 31, 2016
Is this an issue? I have the receipt showing we have paid but no aor yet. I am going to be crossing this coming Monday!

If I want to return home for a weekend and come back to Canada, is this an issue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Each time you re-enter Canada you'll be re-assessed by CBSA. While you should have no issues re-entering as an American - ideally you want to keep border crossings to a minimum since they certainly come with some risks.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
I think it depends a lot on where you cross. Some places don't seem to care that much. Our border station is one of the cranky ones. The women who work there, especially, seem to really love being as miserable as possible. If my husband had ever tried to leave Canada and then come back a couple of days later ... well, the reception would not have been pleasant. He was always very careful to spend the majority of his time in the States, and even then they'd give him a hard time. He was a total star dealing with them all these years. I never could have done it.

Cdnpr2017

Dec 31, 2016
CanadianZenGirl said:
I think it depends a lot on where you cross. Some places don't seem to care that much. Our border station is one of the cranky ones. The women who work there, especially, seem to really love being as miserable as possible. If my husband had ever tried to leave Canada and then come back a couple of days later ... well, the reception would not have been pleasant. He was always very careful to spend the majority of his time in the States, and even then they'd give him a hard time. He was a total star dealing with them all these years. I never could have done it.
I will have been home for a total of 12 days. I cross at the 1000 islands border, I have never had any mean customs officers there ever

xoxokirsten

Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
18-12-2015
File Transfer...
06-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
27-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-03-2016
Good evening, Cdnpr2017!

I am a US citizen and went through the process of becoming a Canadian PR through Outland. I crossed daily for two years and was given my fair share of issues, but I have to say, I was given a much easier time crossing when I had my application going and everything paid for. I crossed with my common-law partner one day from Michigan to Ontario and asked for a visitors record, I have to say it was nerve wracking, but ask for a visitors record! Have a copy of everything (your application and receipt of payment) and mention that you want to stay for the given time and you have an application in process with everything paid for. As the officer mentioned to me when I obtained my VR, this allows you to stay in Canada while your application is in process but you are still allowed to cross as need be.

I am unsure of your exact situation, and please keep in mind that every situation is different, but for me this worked and others should be aware that it's possible.

I hope this helps!

xoxokirsten

Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
18-12-2015
File Transfer...
06-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
27-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-03-2016
It's a document they stapled into my passport that explained my situation and gave me a six month allowance to stay in Canada (but the allowance is to their discretion. Could be a month could be a year, I've read mix things for different situations) On the document it provided the address on where I was staying and that we have a common-law application submitted and going. As well, they gave me a exit date for me to leave Canada in six months if I didn't obtain my permeant residency, but this six months good enough. As they explained to me though with my visitors record, I could come and go to Canada as need be.

Cdnpr2017

Dec 31, 2016
xoxokirsten said:
Good evening, Cdnpr2017!

I am a US citizen and went through the process of becoming a Canadian PR through Outland. I crossed daily for two years and was given my fair share of issues, but I have to say, I was given a much easier time crossing when I had my application going and everything paid for. I crossed with my common-law partner one day from Michigan to Ontario and asked for a visitors record, I have to say it was nerve wracking, but ask for a visitors record! Have a copy of everything (your application and receipt of payment) and mention that you want to stay for the given time and you have an application in process with everything paid for. As the officer mentioned to me when I obtained my VR, this allows you to stay in Canada while your application is in process but you are still allowed to cross as need be.

I am unsure of your exact situation, and please keep in mind that every situation is different, but for me this worked and others should be aware that it's possible.

I hope this helps!
What is a visitors record? We have a copy of the application in Canada, but I do not have one on me. I do have a copy of the receipt though. I will also bring items to show ties to the USA. Should saying I'm staying for 2 months cause any problems?