+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

american married to canadian

Nov 8, 2010
my sister has recently met a man that is married.. yada yada yada- this man says he is an american, been married to a canadian(they are in CANADA)and that he ONLY married his canadian wife, for a green card, and doesn't love her. he is feeding my sister the line that he has to stay married for 5 years for a green card so he can legally stay in canada, and if he leaves his wife before that, he can be deported. Does anyone know about any of this? I was trying to find out so i could let my sister know he is lying, that things don't work that way up here in Canada, but i can't find the answers anywhere. HELP! i think he's a liar and a cheat, and my sister is gullable!

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
The undertaking in the US for the spousal process is 10 years, or until the person because a US Citizen.

So, the man would be financially required to support his wife, love or no love, until she becomes a citizen (living for 5 years in the US continual without significant absence) or after 10 years.

^my husband is a green card holder in the US where we've lived for 13 years, I'm American, he Canadian -though I was never able to sponsor him, my uncle did and then he's sponsored himself the 2nd time around (due to things out of our control our first application was withdrawn when we didn't attend our interview) because he made enough on his own.

I think your confused though, with the terms... perhaps regarding what you are asking in regards to confusing green card with PR card?

For Canada it's 3 years for the undertaking/sponsorship and living for 3 years in Canada over a 5 year period then you can apply for citizenship. Perhaps that's where the 5 years come in, if they've been out of Canada for significant periods.

Nov 8, 2010
i don't know all the details. I just think he's lying to her-she is lonely and has a lot of money and I am suspicious of this man. He told my sister that he has been married to this Canadian girl for just over 3 years. That he has to be married to her for 5 years and then he can divorce her. Of course, he says it's a loveless marriage and that he wants to divorce her etc..only married her for a green card. THAT is what HE told my sister. I never heard of a green card for an american to work in canada-is it even called a green card? ANYHOW, he says he is american and married the canadian woman so he could live and work in canada, and that he has to wait almost another 2 years before he can divorce her. Sounds like a line to me, but what do I know? anyhow, he is american, she is canadian and they are presently living and working in british columbia canada.... does it sound fishy to you? I mean, he's a slime regardless, having affairs like that, but before this thing really gets going, i want to find out if he is lying to her to try and protect her.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
loyal crockett said:
my sister has recently met a man that is married.. yada yada yada- this man says he is an american, been married to a canadian(they are in CANADA)and that he ONLY married his canadian wife, for a green card, and doesn't love her. he is feeding my sister the line that he has to stay married for 5 years for a green card so he can legally stay in canada, and if he leaves his wife before that, he can be deported. Does anyone know about any of this? I was trying to find out so i could let my sister know he is lying, that things don't work that way up here in Canada, but i can't find the answers anywhere. HELP! i think he's a liar and a cheat, and my sister is gullable!
The permanent resident visa in Canada is what I believe you are saying the husband is trying to hold on to in Canada...

There is no rule that says he has to stay married to her for ANY period of time.

Things dont work that way here in Canada.

There is a sponsorship undertaking which means that the spouse would have to pay back the government for any "welfare" benefits he received in the first three years after approval of residency but there is nothing that says that if they divorce tomorrow he will be deported. That is BUNK.

The rules are different if they were in the US. But not for Canada

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
Yeah, they don't HAVE to stay married.

Green Card is what it is called in the US / Permanent Resident Visa in Canada.

It's just the undertaking that she took for him to be approved, is for 3 years from the date he became as PR of Canada - and it is only if he is not Self -supporting. Basically as Heather said, she pays back any government assistance that would fall under the 'welfare' area. Things like grants, ect for schooling and all wouldn't apply. If he 'has a lot of money' as you said, then there wouldn't be a reason in which I can see it'd fall that way. Unless he's worried about the $ he'd have to pay HER in a divorce. ?

If they've lived 3 years solid in BC, and he's honest about that #, he could apply for citizenship now and the wife is no longer financially bound to him in the eyes of the CIC/government. I can't see any reason why he has to wait 5 years to divorce her - especially after 3 years, it wouldn't be suspicious that they'd have grown apart, no longer in love, whatever the case/grounds for divorcee would be.