+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Citizen Traveling Home to USA During PR Processing

kianada

Jun 11, 2019
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Hi all,

I've pretty much completed my PR timeline save for receiving my documents. I've passed my medical, received request for my passport, and mailed it in about a week ago. Throughout this entire process I've been on the verge of hopping on a plane due to a very sick family member back home. Things seems to have calmed when I got word that he was doing better until yesterday when I was notified that he was not strong enough to be moved to long-term care and would instead be moved to hospice to live out the rest of his life. The doctors say he could pass in two days, two weeks, two months and that they just don't really know. There are circumstances making his full recovery very unlikely and so I was told that I should probably come visit before he passes.

I hate to jeopardize my application this close to the end but a dying family member is also very important.

To summarize, I guess my questions here are:

1. As an in-land applicant, am I jeopardizing being approved by leaving Canada this close to the end?

2. I know they say you are allowed to leave but that you're not guaranteed entry back into Canada. What are my chances of being denied upon my return?

3. Does anyone have any documentation more concrete than this page?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

Thank you in advance for your input.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As an American you are unlikely not to be let back in. As long as you don't remain out of Canada for an extended amount of time you should be fine for an inland application. 2-3 weeks out of Canada is what seems to be accepted.

kianada

Jun 11, 2019
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
As an American you are unlikely not to be let back in. As long as you don't remain out of Canada for an extended amount of time you should be fine for an inland application. 2-3 weeks out of Canada is what seems to be accepted.
Thank you!!!