+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Amendment to CoPR if you are already a Canadian citizen

dmtr

Nov 24, 2019
Hello to everyone.

Today I noticed that my daughter's CoPR has a wrong spelling of the Place of Birth. I used "Kiev" as the city of birth when I applied to her study permit. In the translation of her birth certificate it's indicated as "Kyiv". And I used "Kyiv" in all further applications, including a PR (cannot tell for sure, though, because I don't have access to my CIC profile anymore) and Citizenship (100% sure) ones. But anyway, CoPR contains "Kiev" spelling.
My daughter is a Canadian citizen right now, and I am wondering if I have to send an amendment form to CIC asking to change "Kiev" to "Kyiv". And if yes, what would be the best explanation?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello to everyone.

Today I noticed that my daughter's CoPR has a wrong spelling of the Place of Birth. I used "Kiev" as the city of birth when I applied to her study permit. In the translation of her birth certificate it's indicated as "Kyiv". And I used "Kyiv" in all further applications, including a PR (cannot tell for sure, though, because I don't have access to my CIC profile anymore) and Citizenship (100% sure) ones. But anyway, CoPR contains "Kiev" spelling.
My daughter is a Canadian citizen right now, and I am wondering if I have to send an amendment form to CIC asking to change "Kiev" to "Kyiv". And if yes, what would be the best explanation?

You don't need to change this.

dmtr

Nov 24, 2019
Thank you for your reply. But could you please explain a little bit more, why I don't need to change this? My concern is that CoPR is a document you have to keep all your life. For example, it will be needed when my daughter applies for Old Age Security Pension. And her birth certificate and CoPR will have slightly different (but still different) spellings of her Place of Birth.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply. But could you please explain a little bit more, why I don't need to change this? My concern is that CoPR is a document you have to keep all your life. For example, it will be needed when my daughter applies for Old Age Security Pension. And her birth certificate and CoPR will have slightly different (but still different) spellings of her Place of Birth.
It is a simple clerical error and will not impact anything in the future.

dmtr

Nov 24, 2019
It is a simple clerical error and will not impact anything in the future.
The problem here is that I specified "Kiev" in her very first application (a study permit). I just double checked the application form.
And then it got to CoPR from her UCI profile even though I probably already used "Kyiv" in her PR (but frankly, I don't remember what exact spelling I used) and for sure in her Citizenship applications. My point here is that it might be my error not a clerical (read CIC's) one. Is that still a thing I shouldn't worry about?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The problem here is that I specified "Kiev" in her very first application (a study permit). I just double checked the application form.
And then it got to CoPR from her UCI profile even though I probably already used "Kyiv" in her PR (but frankly, I don't remember what exact spelling I used) and for sure in her Citizenship applications. My point here is that it might be my error not a clerical (read CIC's) one. Is that still a thing I shouldn't worry about?
Still nothing to worry about.

Mrs.Asag

May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello to everyone.

Kiev is the English spelling for Kyiv and both are interchangeable so it is okay. I would not say this is a clerical error, that's just how we spell Kyiv in Canada.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I have very very similar mistake. My problem though is that in my Canadian passport application I changed the city of birth to appear accurate in English, which is different from previous applications where I entered somewhat inaccurate writing of the name (the difference is exactly in one letter as in the example above. The same number of letters, but one letter is different, which slightly changes the pronunciation). What will happen in this case? Will they put the name I entered in the application, or go with the name in the records, or will they ask me to submit an official form regarding this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have very very similar mistake. My problem though is that in my Canadian passport application I changed the city of birth to appear accurate in English, which is different from previous applications where I entered somewhat inaccurate writing of the name (the difference is exactly in one letter as in the example above. The same number of letters, but one letter is different, which slightly changes the pronunciation). What will happen in this case? Will they put the name I entered in the application, or go with the name in the records, or will they ask me to submit an official form regarding this?
They will do one of the two and not think about it at all and neither should you. Most likely use the spelling in official docs, not that it matters much.

Key thing: this type of discrepancy is common for toponyms and names transliterated from other alphabets, even before you get to official names in different languages and all that. (Any competent translator is going to put Moscow and not Moskva, for example)

Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
They will do one of the two and not think about it at all and neither should you. Most likely use the spelling in official docs, not that it matters much.

Key thing: this type of discrepancy is common for toponyms and names transliterated from other alphabets, even before you get to official names in different languages and all that. (Any competent translator is going to put Moscow and not Moskva, for example)
Thanks. I have an official English version of my birth certificate, and the city of birth doesn't appear on it, neither on my current passport. Before now, I didn't think it matters much, so I didn't research the official name in English, and I was writing it as I thought it's the correct spelling. It doesn't matter how it appears on the passport either way, the important thing is not to ask me to change the records, and go through a long official route before they agree to issue me the passport.

Reactions: armoured