+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Amendment of confirmation of permanent residence !!

eecs281

Nov 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am here to ask a question regarding the amendment of my CPR about the incorrect of marital status. I just received my CPR in October (2016) and found out that my marital status was single instead of common-law. This consequently affects on the status of my spouse, who is also residing in Canada and holding an open work permit based on my study permit, which was issued before my landing. When I saw the mistake on my CPR (IMM 5688), I immediately did a request for amendment. Hence, I just wonder how long does it take to process this amendment application. Moreover, since my spouse work permit is only valid until March 2017, what would happen to her if until that time, I still have not received any responses from the government, which lead to the incapability of opening the sponsor application for my spouse. Please give me any advice if any one has experienced in this kind of problem, I am really appreciate it. Thank you very much for your help !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
eecs281 said:
I am here to ask a question regarding the amendment of my CPR about the incorrect of marital status. I just received my CPR in October (2016) and found out that my marital status was single instead of common-law. This consequently affects on the status of my spouse, who is also residing in Canada and holding an open work permit based on my study permit, which was issued before my landing. When I saw the mistake on my CPR (IMM 5688), I immediately did a request for amendment. Hence, I just wonder how long does it take to process this amendment application. Moreover, since my spouse work permit is only valid until March 2017, what would happen to her if until that time, I still have not received any responses from the government, which lead to the incapability of opening the sponsor application for my spouse. Please give me any advice if any one has experienced in this kind of problem, I am really appreciate it. Thank you very much for your help !
Have you landed yet? Did you include your common-law partner in your PR app?

eecs281

Nov 2, 2016
I already landed and I did update my status (common-law) to the government during the processing time of family sponsor application. :) :) :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
eecs281 said:
I already landed and I did update my status (common-law) to the government during the processing time of family sponsor application. :) :) :)
If you became common-law before you landed, you needed to add your partner to your app. She needed to fill out the forms, undergo a medical and get PCCs. She would have then become a PR at the same time as you.

If you didn't add your common-law partner to your application, you will never be able to sponsor her.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
eecs281 said:
What do you mean by update status to government? Was it done through your application by updating your application itself to add your common law spouse? Or did you just update that she was common law but never added her to your application? (or you updated it somewhere else and assumed it would be updated everywhere?

Like Canuck said, since you already landed, there won't be much you can do at this point unless you did things properly prior to your landing but since your COPR was issued without the common law status and you still used it to land, I fear that you will have significant issues now to get your spouse the PR status. Depending on your answers, the only way for her to become a PR now might be for her to qualify on her own...

eecs281

Nov 2, 2016
My brother did a family sponsor application 2 years ago for my parent and I was included as a dependent child (under 21 years old). A year after we opened the application, my status changed to common-law. At that time, we went on the cic website to look for some information and saw that my status should be updated (informed to the government) if it was changed. Hence, we did send them a letter with an update on my status included with some other document for my parent. Afterward, just to make sure, we also wrote an email and sent it to the government again. Everything went well until I got my CPR. However, the bad thing was I didn't notice about the status when I did my landing. 2 days later, I looked at my PR again and saw that my marital status was single, so I decided to do the amendment. That is the whole story. Now I am really worried about the thing that canuck has mentioned. Even I have updated my status, it still has negative effect on my spouse ???

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
eecs281 said:
My brother did a family sponsor application 2 years ago for my parent and I was included as a dependent child (under 21 years old). A year after we opened the application, my status changed to common-law. At that time, we went on the cic website to look for some information and saw that my status should be updated (informed to the government) if it was changed. Hence, we did send them a letter with an update on my status included with some other document for my parent. Afterward, just to make sure, we also wrote an email and sent it to the government again. Everything went well until I got my CPR. However, the bad thing was I didn't notice about the status when I did my landing. 2 days later, I looked at my PR again and saw that my marital status was single, so I decided to do the amendment. That is the whole story. Now I am really worried about the thing that canuck has mentioned. Even I have updated my status, it still has negative effect on my spouse ???
When you became common-law, you no longer qualified as a dependent of your parents and should have been removed from the application.

Your partner is forever excluded from the Family Class. She will need to find a way to immigrate independently.