+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I required to land once I have a PR visa?

Kamel_D_2017

May 3, 2017
Hello forum! This week I finally got my PR visa after applying from abroad under the spousal category (Yay!). I cannot believe this process is finally completed. Searching this forum has always been a great guidance during the seemingly endless steps – so big thanks to all of you!

Now I have a couple of questions:

We are coming to Canada for a vacation in June and to prepare our move. Originally, we thought that we might permanently relocate at that point of time, but the remaining time to quit my job and wrap up things became too short. I will be required to come back and finish up some projects at work until September or so. Nevertheless, we want to travel to see family and friends and to start looking for a place to live. What I am wondering is:

1) When I arrive in Canada, am I required to land as an immigrant during this trip, or can I postpone that until my actual move to Canada? I think I would prefer not to land during this trip and enter Canada as a visitor. Has anyone done that before? I am a double citizen holding two passports: one with the new PR visa and one with an eTA valid for four more years.

2) In case I cannot convince the border officer and I am required to land during that trip in June, would that mean that my wife, who is sponsoring me, would have to stay in Canada from then on? I believe I read somewhere that Canadians sponsoring a permanent resident have to be in Canada.

3) If 2) is true would my wife still be able to visit me for let’s say 1-2 months after re-establishing in Canada?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations!

1. You can do what is [unofficially] called a `soft landing'. You land as a PR, but then leave Canada to return home to tie up loose ends. You can honestly turn around and leave the same day.

2. If your wife is only a PR of Canada herself, she is suppose to remain in Canada during the process, so...another reason for you to `land' ASAP. ;)

3. Sorry, but I don't understand your question. As soon as you land, you and your sponsor are free to do whatever you like, regarding travel. You will need to receive your PR Card before you can return to Canada via a commercial carrier, but other than that, you'd be free!

Kamel_D_2017

May 3, 2017
Thanks for the quick responses, guys, but I think my questions were a bit ambiguous so you got me a bit wrong.

My wife is a Canadian citizen so she's allowed to be out of country during the application process. In question 2+3 I wanted to know whether she's still allowed to be out of country once I obtained the PR status after the (soft-)landing. After all she had to sign in the application that she intends to move to Canada once I become a PR.

And regarding the first question: I am aware of the possibility of what you call soft-landing. I would however prefer not to land at all during this trip in order not to complicate my taxes. I would prefer to only land later this year once we are permanently moving. So, is that an option?

Is that more clear?

Kamel_D_2017

May 3, 2017
Ponga said:
You will need to receive your PR Card before you can return to Canada via a commercial carrier, but other than that, you'd be free!
That's actually another thing that I find really confusing. Even though I am a citizen of a country which is visa-exempt for travelling to Canada, a commercial carrier will not let me on board without my PR card once I am a permanent resident? Is that correct?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No idea how landing and then leaving Canada would complicate your tax issues, but...

Your wife can freely leave Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kamel_D_2017 said:
That's actually another thing that I find really confusing. Even though I am a citizen of a country which is visa-exempt for travelling to Canada, a commercial carrier will not let me on board without my PR card once I am a permanent resident? Is that correct?
That is correct and only U.S. citizens are exempt from this requirement.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed! The expiry date on the COPR should match the one-year anniversary date of the medical exam.

Kamel_D_2017

May 3, 2017
Thanks a lot, Ponga! Basically I am worried about having to pay taxes to CRA for the remaining months I'd still work in my current country of residence after the soft-landing. That's, however, a separate subject and I opened a new thread in the "Finance and Taxation" board

And yes, medical examination and PR visa both only expire in 2018. The COPR date matches with the one-year anniversary of the medical checkup so no worries. But thanks for your concern, would be very unfortunate to have to go through everything one more time, indeed ::)