+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am i going to have problems entering Canada to live with bf for 6 months?

xebex

Star Member
Jul 13, 2011
Fernie, BC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
19-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
Hi,

I'm a UK citizen, my boyfriend is Canadian, i am planning to live with him in Canada for about 5-6 months from November to April for ski season. I have a mortgage here in the UK, but i will be quitting my job for this opportunity. He then plans to come back to the UK with me in April. I will have about $4000 in savings, a credit card and he will be providing me with food and a place to stay.

I'm terrified that when immigration find out i'm going to be living with my boyfriend for 6 months they wont let me in, cos they'll think i'll be intending to stay! I have no intention of staying past the 6 month visitor visa term. But is just telling them my intentions enough to let me in/stop me?

Do i need to get an invitation letter from him? Bring my mortgage documents and bank statement? Is it likely that they are going to ask me all these questions? or will i get let though easily? Im so stressed, all theses horror stories i'm reading are making me scared that i'll be turned away! :(

adubrovs

Jun 22, 2011
If you are a British citizen you can technically stay in Canada for six month as a visitor since you're visa exempt. When you land, they will stamp your passport with a date by which you have to leave Canada.

xebex

Star Member
Jul 13, 2011
Fernie, BC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
19-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
i know technically i can stay for 6 months, but when they ask where i'm staying and for how long i'm worried they'll think that i'm going to overstay the 6 month limit because there is a bf involved, is this likely to happen and should i bring evidence to show otherwise?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xebex said:
i know technically i can stay for 6 months, but when they ask where i'm staying and for how long i'm worried they'll think that i'm going to overstay the 6 month limit because there is a bf involved, is this likely to happen and should i bring evidence to show otherwise?
It is better to bring proof that you will return.
FWIW Quitting your job is not that helpful when trying to prove that you have solid ties to the UK.

xebex

Star Member
Jul 13, 2011
Fernie, BC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
19-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
i will be setting up as a freelance designer when i return home, this is basically a holiday for me before i change my career direction, i have no idea how i can prove this though.

are the things i've said likely to cause problems?

adubrovs

Jun 22, 2011
I think the best proof is a return ticket. Other than that I would think it's hard to prove that you will return. It will all depend on the customs official and what mood they are in.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xebex said:
i will be setting up as a freelance designer when i return home, this is basically a holiday for me before i change my career direction, i have no idea how i can prove this though.

are the things i've said likely to cause problems?
You could register as a business before you leave.

I suggest that you read the notes about visiting Canada - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

henrysmith78

Jun 28, 2011
It is hard to say whether the individual visa officer will have concerns about whether you are attempting to centralize your mode of living in Canada. This is effectively what they will be concerned about and if they have grounds for such concerns they can prevent you from entering Canada.

Generally speaking this concern arises in situations where an individual comes to the border with a truck full of furniture. As you are likely flying in it seems unlikely that the visa officer will be overly concerned.

However it is probably best to be prepared to explain your intent and be able to demonstrate your ties to the UK. This will of course include a return ticket, proof of your mortgage in the UK, outstanding commitments in the UK, your ability to reference your ties to family and friends in the UK etc.

Good luck!

Beaver

Feb 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like adubrovs said, you are allowed to stay up to six months as a visitor in Canada - Immigration has no concern of what you do while in Canada as long as you don't break our laws (including working illegally).

I know many people from non-visa exempt countries who stay longer than six months, but they apply for extensions and they normally get approval to do that...

There is nothing wrong spending time as much as possible with your boyfriend in Canada - just be mindful of the laws of this country.