+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I entitled to claim Canadian citizenship?

rlargan

Mar 15, 2024
My grandfather was born in Philadelphia but served in the Canadian armed forces in ww2. Would that make him a Canadian citizen? He was station in the UK where he met and married my British grandmother, my father was born in 1946. My grandfather travelled back to Canada when my father was young and my grandmother and father stayed in the UK. My grandfather father died in the 1970s in Windsor Ontario. Neither my father or grandmother claimed Canadian citizenship. Would I be eligible to claim? I was born in 1983, I grew up and still live in the UK.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
My grandfather was born in Philadelphia but served in the Canadian armed forces in ww2. Would that make him a Canadian citizen? He was station in the UK where he met and married my British grandmother, my father was born in 1946. My grandfather travelled back to Canada when my father was young and my grandmother and father stayed in the UK. My grandfather father died in the 1970s in Windsor Ontario. Neither my father or grandmother claimed Canadian citizenship. Would I be eligible to claim? I was born in 1983, I grew up and still live in the UK.
Are you sure that's all you know about your grandfather? There are some details you should find out, such as where his parents are from, and what his status was before and after the commencement of the 1947 Act. Sounds like he abandoned your grandmother and father, so anything you've heard about him could just be hearsay.

Under that Act, his military service would count towards the residency requirement for citizenship had he applied for it; it would not have conferred automatic citizenship unfortunately.