20-8-2014
Med's Done....
12-6-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-11-2014
hi guys!I am
In Canada with my husband who is a Pr holder!i am a Canadian citizen that has sponsored him!!!i know that we have an undertaking for 3 years,so we cant have any welfare!Thats what i know!But could we apply for a low income transit passes?we havent filled our taxes yet,such as we are newcomers,so as a proof for our income we need a letter from a RSW(registered social worker).i have contacted one of them and she refused me to give this letter to me after explaining my situation.She adviced me to come im contact with the Alberta works!i explained her that Alberta works provides welfare and as a sponsor i am not eligible!so thats why i need a letter from you!!!Then she told me she cant give me the letter i ask for because i have zero access to any kond of benefits as a sponsor!!!does anyone know if thats true?
We just want to apply for Calgary transit low income passes,thats not welfare!!!please need your advice

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In some provinces a sponsor is not allowed to take other forms of benefit in addition to welfare (e.g. housing assistance). So it is entirely possible you may not be entitled to the discounted transit passes since they are classified as social assistance.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Hi,

If your husband is taking some free English classes the government may give him a pass allowance or if he is taking a job search workshop. Otherwise, I am not sure.

If he is not working and you are, you will probably get a nice refund check next year. I think that's about it.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why dont you and your husband get a job unless both of you have some kind of disability that prevent you from working

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ninakap30 said:
hi guys!I am
In Canada with my husband who is a Pr holder!i am a Canadian citizen that has sponsored him!!!i know that we have an undertaking for 3 years,so we cant have any welfare!Thats what i know!But could we apply for a low income transit passes?we havent filled our taxes yet,such as we are newcomers,so as a proof for our income we need a letter from a RSW(registered social worker).i have contacted one of them and she refused me to give this letter to me after explaining my situation.She adviced me to come im contact with the Alberta works!i explained her that Alberta works provides welfare and as a sponsor i am not eligible!so thats why i need a letter from you!!!Then she told me she cant give me the letter i ask for because i have zero access to any kond of benefits as a sponsor!!!does anyone know if thats true?
We just want to apply for Calgary transit low income passes,thats not welfare!!!please need your advice
Issuance of the Calgary transit pass you refer to is based on Stats Canada LICO figures. Your 2014 income must be less than 30,286 (2 people) to qualify. This doesn't necessarily mean you are on welfare as you can be say in part time employment and/or full time employment with low wages etc. Easiest proof of income being less than LICO is via CRA Notice of Assessment but if you get some other benefits (low income health care card) which rely on income being less than LICO by default the Transit Program accepts your application. The RSW route is the only option for you but the RSW is not compelled to write a letter for you. Have you considered filing taxes? Maybe RSW took the view you have low income but sizeable assets? Maybe try a different RSW. If this still doesn't work out the difference between a regular monthly pass and a low income monthly pass is $55 so consider if its worth the hassle. If it helps you can claim the full transit pass costs when you file your 2015 taxes.