+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for Oversease Citizen of India (OCI) Card ?

mkmishra

Oct 10, 2011
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR , August 2010
File Transfer...
1st June 2010
Med's Request
INPROCESS 2nd Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25th March 2013
Passport Req..
25th March 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on 16th April 2013
Hi,
I would really appriciate if someone could help me to understand if there is any possibility to get OCI Card for me and my family.

My grandparents were indian citizen but they passed away many years ago. My dad was Indian citizen as well, but he migrated to Nepal and got citizenship of Nepal. I was born in Nepal and based on my Dad's citizenship, I got Nepali Citizenship and Nepali Passport . My dad passed awy few years ago.

I migrated to Canada and received Canadian citizenship. I have already surrendered Nepali citizenship and Passport and thinking of Applying for OCI .

As per OCI eligibility criteria No 4.

-A child or grandchild or great grandchild of a person that meets criteria 1-3 is eligible to apply for OCI .

- The biggest problem for me is to prove "The evidence of self or parents or grandparents or great grandparents being citizens of India at the time of, or at any time after the commencement of the Constitution i.e. 26.01.1950; or being eligible to become citizen of India; belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947"

-I dont have my Dad's or grand parents brith certificate. I think their births were never been registered .
-I dont have any legal document showing relation between my grand parents and my Dad.

* My uncle is indian citizen , could he help me in this process ?
* My grand Father's brother is still alive , could he help in this process ?

Thank You
Raju

drasticinput

Apr 10, 2018
Hi,
I would really appriciate if someone could help me to understand if there is any possibility to get OCI Card for me and my family.

My grandparents were indian citizen but they passed away many years ago. My dad was Indian citizen as well, but he migrated to Nepal and got citizenship of Nepal. I was born in Nepal and based on my Dad's citizenship, I got Nepali Citizenship and Nepali Passport . My dad passed awy few years ago.

I migrated to Canada and received Canadian citizenship. I have already surrendered Nepali citizenship and Passport and thinking of Applying for OCI .

As per OCI eligibility criteria No 4.

-A child or grandchild or great grandchild of a person that meets criteria 1-3 is eligible to apply for OCI .

- The biggest problem for me is to prove "The evidence of self or parents or grandparents or great grandparents being citizens of India at the time of, or at any time after the commencement of the Constitution i.e. 26.01.1950; or being eligible to become citizen of India; belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947"

-I dont have my Dad's or grand parents brith certificate. I think their births were never been registered .
-I dont have any legal document showing relation between my grand parents and my Dad.

* My uncle is indian citizen , could he help me in this process ?
* My grand Father's brother is still alive , could he help in this process ?

Thank You
Raju
Hi Raju,

Many people during that time did not have birth certificates. However, most people had a Ration Card.

The Ration card has details of all members of the family. In your case, since you father willfully gave up his Indian citizenship, you will need the Ration Card (or Voter Registration Card) of your grandparents. If you do not have a ration card, you need to track down the local municipality office within the area where they lived and have them make a duplicate one for you.

Based on the old Ration Card, you. will be able to prove the relationship between your father and Grandparents.

This will definitely not be an easy process, however, it is not impossible. You may need to take a trip to India and with some persuasion (read bribe), you may be able to find someone who points you to a Govt. Employee willing to help.

Good Luck!

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
You will not get OCI Card.

If you want to travel to India for some reason just get Visit visa.