+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for OSAP

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
Hi guys,
Hope you are doing well, I landed in Saskatchewan last year in Sept 2019 as Permanent Resident and I stayed and signed lease agreement for one apartment for 3 months (Oct to Dec) and I left Canada on 31 December to meet my parents in Pakistan and stuck here due to COVID-19. Meanwhile I applied for Masters program (fall 2020) at Ryerson and got acceptance. I am planning to attend this course and applying for OSAP. My questions are mention below.

1. Am I eligible for OSAP if I apply online by staying here in Pakistan and then at the time of classes I will move to Ontario and start attending classes

2. Am I eligible for OSAP if I never lived in Ontario

3. Is it mandatory to be in Canada for applying OSAP

4. I did part time job for 2 months in Saskatchewan, should I have to submit tax returns while applying for OSAP

5. If my OSAP application gets approved and classes for Fall 2020 (Sept-Dec) will be online can I attend online classes by staying here in Pakistan, will this effect my OSAP application.

I would be really thankful if someone answer to my questions, as I only lived in Canada for 3 months and I dont have much knowledge about it.

Thank you in advance.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi guys,
Hope you are doing well, I landed in Saskatchewan last year in Sept 2019 as Permanent Resident and I stayed and signed lease agreement for one apartment for 3 months (Oct to Dec) and I left Canada on 31 December to meet my parents in Pakistan and stuck here due to COVID-19. Meanwhile I applied for Masters program (fall 2020) at Ryerson and got acceptance. I am planning to attend this course and applying for OSAP. My questions are mention below.

1. Am I eligible for OSAP if I apply online by staying here in Pakistan and then at the time of classes I will move to Ontario and start attending classes

2. Am I eligible for OSAP if I never lived in Ontario

3. Is it mandatory to be in Canada for applying OSAP

4. I did part time job for 2 months in Saskatchewan, should I have to submit tax returns while applying for OSAP

5. If my OSAP application gets approved and classes for Fall 2020 (Sept-Dec) will be online can I attend online classes by staying here in Pakistan, will this effect my OSAP application.

I would be really thankful if someone answer to my questions, as I only lived in Canada for 3 months and I dont have much knowledge about it.

Thank you in advance.
I don’t think you are eligible for OSAP as you are not a resident of Ontario. Yes you have to submit tax returns. As far as I can remember, you must have been living in Ontario for 1 year before you can be eligible. Best to go to the official website and read the requirements.

Residency in Ontario

You must meet certain requirements to be considered a resident of Ontario for OSAP purposes. You may also be eligible if your spouse or parent(s) meet certain residency requirements.

If you do not meet OSAP's Ontario residency requirements you may still be eligible. You may have to provide a detailed explanation in your History of Canadian Residency form and submit the required documents that support your residency.

If you have lived in another province, you must contact that province's student assistance program.

Income Requirements

You can only be eligible for OSAP if you don’t have enough money from other sources to cover your college or university expenses. The income that you report to OSAP generally needs to match what you reported to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) when you filed your taxes.

There are also other requirements related to your income.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You are not eligible for OSAP as you have never been a resident.

• A person who can establish bona fide residency in Ontario as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) for a period of 12 consecutive months (excluding periods spent in a post-secondary institution) prior to registration in the year for which application is being made.
  • How to show residency - Ontario tax returns, eligibility to vote in Ontario, production of permanent driver's license or an Ontario motor vehicle registration, proving place of employment
So to even be eligible for OSAP, you need to live in Ontario (not Pakistan).

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
You are not eligible for OSAP as you have never been a resident.

• A person who can establish bona fide residency in Ontario as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) for a period of 12 consecutive months (excluding periods spent in a post-secondary institution) prior to registration in the year for which application is being made.
  • How to show residency - Ontario tax returns, eligibility to vote in Ontario, production of permanent driver's license or an Ontario motor vehicle registration, proving place of employment
So to even be eligible for OSAP, you need to live in Ontario (not Pakistan).
Thank you for your reply and sharing information.
Two of my friends who moved from Saskatchewan to Ontario just 2 months before starting of Classes (Sept-2019) who never lived in Ontario before, they both got approval from OSAP and studying in the same course I am planning to. In my scenario the difference is that I am stuck in Pakistan because of flight operations are closed at the moment. Otherwise I would have move to Ontario in June-July.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thank you for your reply and sharing information.
Two of my friends who moved from Saskatchewan to Ontario just 2 months before starting of Classes (Sept-2019) who never lived in Ontario before, they both got approval from OSAP and studying in the same course I am planning to. In my scenario the difference is that I am stuck in Pakistan because of flight operations are closed at the moment. Otherwise I would have move to Ontario in June-July.
I guess the question is did they disclose that they did not live in Ontario? Since you have these 2 friends, best to ask them as they have first hand experience.

Reactions: Naturgrl

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
I guess the question is did they disclose that they did not live in Ontario? Since you have these 2 friends, best to ask them as they have first hand experience.
You are absolutely right, when did they apply for OSAP before moving to Ontario or After moving to Ontario, Ill ask them now. :)
Thank you so much

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
You can’t apply from Pakistan for OSAP since you have never set foot in the province. First you need to be in Ontario because you Can’t even prove you live in the province (lease, driver’s license, OHIP card).
Ok it means then I should try to land in Ontario sometime in July, My classes will start from 2nd of September, Can you please tell me if I apply for OSAP in the month of August, will it approve? or how earlier minimum one should apply

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that processing could be delayed due to covid. You should also be speaking to your school to see if there is the possibility of deferring if you are unable to secure a OSAP. They need advance notice so that another student can take your place if you can’t get to Ontario or secure OSAP. I would be contacting OSAP directly to clarify whether you will qualify if you move and apply right after you arrive in Ontario.

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
Would add that processing could be delayed due to covid. You should also be speaking to your school to see if there is the possibility of deferring if you are unable to secure a OSAP. They need advance notice so that another student can take your place if you can’t get to Ontario or secure OSAP. I would be contacting OSAP directly to clarify whether you will qualify if you move and apply right after you arrive in Ontario.
Thank you so much, I just read your message here. I was new to OSAP when I created this post, but now things are clear, for applying OSAP I should be physically present in Ontario and cannot apply while staying outside Canada.

I dont want to defer this admission, because this Masters only start at once in a year in September and ends in August. So in this scenario I will waste one precious year.

Also, Fall semester (Sept-Dec) classes would be online If I pay first semester fees from my savings and attend classes by staying in Pakistan as it would be online classes and then I will land in Ontario in December before start of second semester, can I apply for OSAP right after landing in Ontario? If my OSAP will approve in this condition I will get funding for second and third semester only or I will get funding for the previous first semester as well.

Thank you for your help, I would be thankful to you if you share your contact number in my message section so I can call you directly and discuss it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much, I just read your message here. I was new to OSAP when I created this post, but now things are clear, for applying OSAP I should be physically present in Ontario and cannot apply while staying outside Canada.

I dont want to defer this admission, because this Masters only start at once in a year in September and ends in August. So in this scenario I will waste one precious year.

Also, Fall semester (Sept-Dec) classes would be online If I pay first semester fees from my savings and attend classes by staying in Pakistan as it would be online classes and then I will land in Ontario in December before start of second semester, can I apply for OSAP right after landing in Ontario? If my OSAP will approve in this condition I will get funding for second and third semester only or I will get funding for the previous first semester as well.

Thank you for your help, I would be thankful to you if you share your contact number in my message section so I can call you directly and discuss it.
Not a consultant or a lawyer. You can hire one if you want to be able to call someone. Have you spoken to your masters program about whether you’ll be able to study online? You have PR so you can get to Canada. Depending on the program so e schools are requesting that those who are able to enter or currently live in Canada attend classes in person. This is especially true for smaller programs. There are also some programs that are not easily done online. Whether you land in August or December you still need to be in Ontario long enough to prove Ontario residency and get an answer on what kind of loan/grant you get. Don’t believe you can get OSAP for the semester you have already done. OSAP majority a loan program. Would be contacting OSAP to find out how long you need to be in Ontario before qualifying for OHIP and how long will processing take. Remember Christmas/New year’s very little work goes on. Would also be contacting your school to find out if there will be some on campus requirements during the fall semester.

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
Not a consultant or a lawyer. You can hire one if you want to be able to call someone. Have you spoken to your masters program about whether you’ll be able to study online? You have PR so you can get to Canada. Depending on the program so e schools are requesting that those who are able to enter or currently live in Canada attend classes in person. This is especially true for smaller programs. There are also some programs that are not easily done online. Whether you land in August or December you still need to be in Ontario long enough to prove Ontario residency and get an answer on what kind of loan/grant you get. Don’t believe you can get OSAP for the semester you have already done. OSAP majority a loan program. Would be contacting OSAP to find out how long you need to be in Ontario before qualifying for OHIP and how long will processing take. Remember Christmas/New year’s very little work goes on. Would also be contacting your school to find out if there will be some on campus requirements during the fall semester.
Hi,
thank you for replying, Ryerson arranged an online session on zoom, they told us Fall Sept-Dec session will be completely online and no on campus requirement for fall, so international student outside Canada and PR holders outside Canada can attend online and they dont need to come to Canada. so I will pay my first semester fees myself. They said second semester (Jan-Apr) will be in-person. We almost have 45-50 students in our course (Class) international plus domestic. its a fixed one year masters. If second semester will be in-person I will try to land between 15 Dec---11 Jan as these would be off days from Uni. One more thing, Winter semester can be online too depend on COVID-19 situation that time but I am not sure.

As far as fees is concerned, Ill pay first semester fees from my savings, then will apply for OSAP loan if approved, otherwise will get loan for 2nd, 3rd semester fees from my family or relatives. I just dont want to waste my year as I find very difficult to get professional jobs in Canada without Canadian education and experience.

One thing more, one of my friend told me that some banks also provide loan to students but we have to pay within few years like 2-3 years and not like OSAP (8-10 years)