+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for EI regular benefits?

Bhadz_ironside

Aug 27, 2016
It says in CIC that

You may not be entitled to receive EI regular benefits if you:

1.) voluntarily left your employment without just cause.

If the reason is you will transfer to other province to be with your wife and look for a new job there, is it consider a Just cause?

Thank you.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you voluntarily left your job, you do not qualify for EI. Doesn't matter the reason unless it fits one of the guidelines. Leaving to be with your wife/girlfriend isn't one of them.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Bhadz_ironside said:
If the reason is you will transfer to other province to be with your wife and look for a new job there, is it consider a Just cause?
Of course not. That is a personal life choice. An example of just cause would be quitting because the employer was trying to force you to do unsafe work.

Bhadz_ironside

Aug 27, 2016
Thank you Guys Perhaps your right.

ANyway I just read it here:

http://mtcsalc.org/en/publications/employment/employment-insurance-ei-benefits-summary/?p=02#02-regular-EI-benefits

It only says Leaving your Job to accompany your spouse or start a new Job "could be" considered. But yes, there is no Guarantee.

Or Perhaps im Reading a wrong article.. Lol! :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Try applying and see if they accept it. You have nothing to lose.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I see a couple of issues with you interpretation:

In previous posts, you indicate you aren't married and she is your girlfriend. So she is t your spouse

Also, she would need to be moving to Alberta from where you are now. She is already established there and that would probably not pass scrutiny.

Canadian woman is correct. Apply regardless, but don't be surprised if the say no. Doesn't hurt to try. As with all things government, be honest......don't call her you spouse if she isn't. The have the same dim view of misrepresentation as IRCC.

Good luck. And let us know how it goes.