+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for CERB if I didn’t work in 2019

inajaf

Apr 17, 2018
Hi, I just stuck with the situation of CERB benefit program

I got in Feb 2020 PRcard and left the Canada on march 12 to visit my parents, but after march 15 or 20 pandemic started and all borders closed. I can’t return to Canada during COVID to start applying for jobs and work. I didn’t work in 2019, therefore I don't have tax return because I was waiting PR card.
I understand that rules described well for receiving the CERB support, but my situation different. Can I get help from the CRA agents or maybe any lawyer?

thanks.

• Angry
Reactions: mpsqra

inajaf

Apr 17, 2018
Probably not. You have to have had a certain amount of employment income to be eligible.
Thank you for replying. I understand that I am not eligible with the rules for CERB, I just want to know how I can describe my issue to the lawyer or CRA agent.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you for replying. I understand that I am not eligible with the rules for CERB, I just want to know how I can describe my issue to the lawyer or CRA agent.
No, because a lawyer or a CRA agent cannot change the eligibility rules.

A lawyer would charge you a lot and tell you the same.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless you meet the qualifications you can’t receive CERB. If you did apply for CERB and have been receiving the benefit you need to pay it back ASAP or you will face a penalty.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I got in Feb 2020 PRcard and left the Canada on march 12 to visit my parents, but after march 15 or 20 pandemic started and all borders closed. I can’t return to Canada during COVID to start applying for jobs and work. I didn’t work in 2019, therefore I don't have tax return because I was waiting PR card.
I understand that rules described well for receiving the CERB support, but my situation different. Can I get help from the CRA agents or maybe any lawyer?

thanks.
No
The CRA agents nor a lawyer can change the law

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

thanks.
No, there is no way that you can make yourself eligible for CERB. You did not lose your job due to Covid first of all. You didn’t work so did not earn $5,000. No lawyer, no CRA agent, no one can change the fact that you are NOT eligible for CERB.