+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I Eligible for a Work Permit?

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Hi,

I recently arrived back in Canada using a PRTD I got through H&C reasons. My PR Card already expired and my parents didn't get me an SIN before taking us back to the Philippines.

I'm currently in the process of renewing my PR card but am unable to work since I can't get an SIN without my card. The landing papers is only good for the first year of being here and I technically "landed" years ago and am just returing.

I really need to find work soon and I'm not sure how much longer CIC is going to take. Would anyone know if I can get a work permit? Just so I can earn some money and not go broke while waiting for my PR card?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Given you are a PR you cannot get a work permit as they are only for temp residents. I have no answer for you but do you have the PRTD, documents supporting H&C and did you try showing that to Service Canada as that indicates of course you are a PR

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the above - you don't qualify for a work permit as a PR. So obtaining a work permit is unfortunately impossible.

Have you tried going to a Service Canada as Bs65 has suggested to attempt to get a SIN?

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Given you are a PR you cannot get a work permit as they are only for temp residents. I have no answer for you but do you have the PRTD, documents supporting H&C and did you try showing that to Service Canada as that indicates of course you are a PR
Agreed with the above - you don't qualify for a work permit as a PR. So obtaining a work permit is unfortunately impossible.

Have you tried going to a Service Canada as Bs65 has suggested to attempt to get a SIN?
Yes, I have. I went there the week I arrived and unfortunately they said I need to renew my PR card since that's what they'll use as my primary identification document. Without it I can't apply for an SIN.

I'll give it another go though. I'll give CIC a call and visit SC again to see if I have other options. It's a bit inconvenient to be waiting in the dark with no job.