+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I done? - 2 constructive part time study and pgwp

Nov 25, 2021
So, I just got a message I am just automatically changed from full-time student to part-time student.
It was quite disturbing me because I know this is going to directly impact on my future PGWP application and that application will be rejected whatever I done.

My consultant told me she is going to give me the letter regards, however, it make me so freaked out that the possibility to get PGWP with letter is brutally skim unless I have acquaint reason to take part-time constructive 2 semesters.

I know it is totally my fault I got fail on middle of semester then effect on the other semester's schedule, I have no excuse on my consequence. However, I felt quite sad and angry I spend almost 100K of money for college then I need to straight back to my home with nothing.
Even though I tried to appeal academic centre to avoid to be part-time student, they already declared me as part-time student. can those record effect on my pgwp application even I got full-time load on next semester? if not, is any room for take elective for full-time?

I'm in Georgebrown college anyone know about that I'm glad to your help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Shawaiz

May 18, 2020
Hey,
It is necessary for pgwp applicants to remain full-time throughout their time in post-secondary education. Only reasons to be allowed to be part time is due to sickness for which you need medical notes.

Nov 1, 2022
So, I just got a message I am just automatically changed from full-time student to part-time student.
It was quite disturbing me because I know this is going to directly impact on my future PGWP application and that application will be rejected whatever I done.

My consultant told me she is going to give me the letter regards, however, it make me so freaked out that the possibility to get PGWP with letter is brutally skim unless I have acquaint reason to take part-time constructive 2 semesters.

I know it is totally my fault I got fail on middle of semester then effect on the other semester's schedule, I have no excuse on my consequence. However, I felt quite sad and angry I spend almost 100K of money for college then I need to straight back to my home with nothing.
Even though I tried to appeal academic centre to avoid to be part-time student, they already declared me as part-time student. can those record effect on my pgwp application even I got full-time load on next semester? if not, is any room for take elective for full-time?

I'm in Georgebrown college anyone know about that I'm glad to your help.

Thanks.
Hi, I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I have 2 part-time semesters where I did a co-op work placement in Summer 2022 and a retaken failed course in Fall 2022 (current).

Are you still currently studying part-time?

Nov 25, 2021
Hi, I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I have 2 part-time semesters where I did a co-op work placement in Summer 2022 and a retaken failed course in Fall 2022 (current).

Are you still currently studying part-time?
Hello neworldexplorer,
I sorry to update my current update of this issue. Currently, I am full time student now. I contracted to coordinator and international student department staff which keep consult regards and coordinator lets me take extra full time schdeule on this semester. If you are about to fall that situation, keep contract and negotiate to your coordinator with international department. i know that the whole process is exhausting and has so many uncertainties, but coordinators are normally open for this issue.
I hope you are good result on negotiation.

Nov 1, 2022
Hello neworldexplorer,
I sorry to update my current update of this issue. Currently, I am full time student now. I contracted to coordinator and international student department staff which keep consult regards and coordinator lets me take extra full time schdeule on this semester. If you are about to fall that situation, keep contract and negotiate to your coordinator with international department. i know that the whole process is exhausting and has so many uncertainties, but coordinators are normally open for this issue.
I hope you are good result on negotiation.
Hi OverhypedGihun, thanks for the quick reply. Congrats on getting full-time status again! Are you also completing your studies this semester?

Unfortunately I cannot take any more courses this semester since enrolment has already past. I will be finishing my studies next month so it's too late.

The reason why I have 2 part-time semesters is because I initially wanted to take my current course in Summer 2022 along with my co-op work placement, but it was not available for me because it was not offered in my designated campus. Hence why I took the course now.

I know I need a letter of explanation when I apply for PGWP but I already know I'm at high risk of refusal. Any ideas?

Thoureprot

Oct 6, 2022
Hi OverhypedGihun, thanks for the quick reply. Congrats on getting full-time status again! Are you also completing your studies this semester?

Unfortunately I cannot take any more courses this semester since enrolment has already past. I will be finishing my studies next month so it's too late.

The reason why I have 2 part-time semesters is because I initially wanted to take my current course in Summer 2022 along with my co-op work placement, but it was not available for me because it was not offered in my designated campus. Hence why I took the course now.

I know I need a letter of explanation when I apply for PGWP but I already know I'm at high risk of refusal. Any ideas?
I hope that you're doing well now. To get study permit is hard, but to prolongate it or get another one is more harder.

Joseph777777

Star Member
Apr 6, 2023
Thanks, I applied on Feb 13 and got approved pretty fast.

How's your situation? Did you also have part-time semester(s)?
Yes I have two part time semesters consecutively and this was after my courses but did part only for courses I failed and I completed my coop work term

Nov 1, 2022
Yes I have two part time semesters consecutively and this was after my courses but did part only for courses I failed and I completed my coop work term
Then it's similar to my case. As long as you didn't work during the part-time semester when you finished the courses you failed, you might still be okay.

Not sure if you worked in your final semester but if you didn't, you can explain to the visa officer (in your LOE) that you didn't work during your final semester and dedicated your entire focus to finishing your program. This is what I did, but you could also explain why you failed the courses or why you couldn't retake the courses along with your co-op.

Hope to see a positive update from you!