+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I Canadian ---- I KNOW I'm sorry!!

Jul 14, 2018
My brain begins to melt with I get into the weeds with this thing. The facts as I know them: My father was born in Montreal around 1913. His family moved to the states when my dad was three, so my dad became a naturalized US citizen. I have no Canadian citizenship... that I know of, so I plan to apply to see but don't want to fall into a rabbit hole needlessly. He died here in 1991. I was born in 1952. No one applied for citizenship for me at any time during my life. I found a lot of docs when filing for veteran's benefits for my elderly mom. So I have a head start. Can anyone tell me if I should just go ahead and apply?

Thanks everyone

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks .... I don't believe I can get a new copy of his birth certificate as it appeared to be some kind "rural" certificate ganging all the siblings together. My mom remembers getting a copy was a nightmare but I will try. Thanks for your help ... I will use the links you have sent.

Thanks Colleen

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks .... I don't believe I can get a new copy of his birth certificate as it appeared to be some kind "rural" certificate ganging all the siblings together. My mom remembers getting a copy was a nightmare but I will try. Thanks for your help ... I will use the links you have sent.

Thanks Colleen
I don't see any reason getting a copy to be a nightmare. Since your dad died, you should be able to apply for his Quebec birth certificate. You would have to provide a copy of death certificate, along with your birth certificate (proving you are his child) when submitting for your father's birth certificate. Your siblings / mother should not be an obstacle to you getting your father's birth certificate.

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I think there was just some talk about getting the birth certificate and finally they settled for the family's naturalization papers that had the entire family on one document. I have downloaded the request for my dad's birth certificate and am getting ready to send it off. However, it only asked for my ID and one verification for where I lived (as in utility notice) and the fee from the link that Alphazip posted a day or so ago. Also I am not sure if I need what they refer to as the "long form certificate" (recommended) or the "copy of an act". Any idea on which I should choose. Thanks all ... should have come here a long time ago.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks for the reply. I think there was just some talk about getting the birth certificate and finally they settled for the family's naturalization papers that had the entire family on one document. I have downloaded the request for my dad's birth certificate and am getting ready to send it off. However, it only asked for my ID and one verification for where I lived (as in utility notice) and the fee from the link that Alphazip posted a day or so ago. Also I am not sure if I need what they refer to as the "long form certificate" (recommended) or the "copy of an act". Any idea on which I should choose. Thanks all ... should have come here a long time ago.
The different between long form and short form.

Long form shows father's parents along with birth date and gender.

Short form is a wallet size certificate with father's name and birth date.

Either certificate will still work since IRCC will find his info with an unique registration number assign found on either certificate.

Last edited:

sana123

Star Member
Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i'm sorry that you have to go through this.. you will get your citizenship in no time eh

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The different between long form and short form.

Long form shows father's parents along with birth date and gender.

Short form is a wallet size certificate with father's name and birth date.

Either certificate will still work since IRCC will find his info with an unique registration number assign found on either certificate.
A long form has more information, such as parentage. A short form only has the basic information. I don't know about Quebec, but wallet-size certificates were eliminated in Ontario years ago.

If in doubt, it is always best to order the long form. For your U.S. birth certificate, you definitely need one that contains your parents' names.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks Colleen
You may be able to find your father's baptism record at ancestry.com A friend's father was born in Quebec in 1913, and his baptism is there.

The baptism record will not take the place of a birth certificate, but it may help the vital statistics office identify him.

If you need assistance, send me a private message.

ebainbridge

Jan 4, 2018
My brain begins to melt with I get into the weeds with this thing. The facts as I know them: My father was born in Montreal around 1913. His family moved to the states when my dad was three, so my dad became a naturalized US citizen. I have no Canadian citizenship... that I know of, so I plan to apply to see but don't want to fall into a rabbit hole needlessly. He died here in 1991. I was born in 1952. No one applied for citizenship for me at any time during my life. I found a lot of docs when filing for veteran's benefits for my elderly mom. So I have a head start. Can anyone tell me if I should just go ahead and apply?
I am in a similar situation, except that my father was born in Ontario in 1915 and was naturalized a US citizen with his family when he was 19. As far as I can tell, you and I are both eligible. I applied for my citizenship certificate two months ago. One potential eligibility difference between you and me: I was born in 1944 and you were born in 1952. There are different provisions in the law for people born before or after January 1, 1947, but I believe both are eligible.

When you apply, be certain to send certified true copies. of your documents. This can be done by Canadian notaries and by some Canadian officials. I had it done at the Canadian consulate in San Francisco. If you have it done at a consulate, pay your fees online first and take your receipt with you. You won't have to pay for the copies if they are for a citizenship certificate.

Good luck!

Last edited: