+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I already a Canadian Citizen?

Mar 23, 2016
I am not sure if I am a Canadian citizen or not – hopping someone can tell me.

• I was born outside of Canada
• My mother was a Canadian Citizen but not born in Canada
• My mother became a naturalized Canadian citizen at 17 (10 years before my birth)
• My maternal Grandparents were not born in Canada but were also naturalized Canadian citizens
• My mother is deceased

appreciate your advice!

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
jeffreysmith300 said:

• My mother became a naturalized Canadian citizen at 17 (10 years before my birth)
• My maternal Grandparents were not born in Canada but were also naturalized Canadian citizens
• My mother is deceased

appreciate your advice!
Yes, you are a Canadian Citizen because your mother was a naturalized citizen. If she was a Canadian citizen born to Canadian citizens out of Canada, then you would not be a citizen. Only one generation of citizens can be born out of Canada. If you have a baby born out of Canada he/she will not be a Canadian citizen.

n143

Star Member
Feb 15, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2016
Doc's Request.
CSQ : 21-03-2016
AOR Received.
16-03-2016 , AOR2 : 31-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Request
upfront..
Med's Done....
04-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
hope soon...
LANDED..........
hope soon....
jeffreysmith300 said:

• My mother is deceased

appreciate your advice!
Please refer below link , it has all the details about "Am I Canadian citizen ?" In your case you are...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You are Canadian. Any kids you have born outside of Canada won't be.....apply for a citizenship certificate if you need proof and then you can get a Canadian passport.

Mar 23, 2016
As suggested I checked the link for the rules but They don't have my exact situation listed.

the closed scenario is:

- you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth, or

I was born way before 2009 (1966) so this does not seem to apply to me.

these scenarios seem to be for people my becoming citizens - not already citizens. Is it possible I've been one all along?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As the others have said, yes, you are a Canadian citizen. See here to apply for proof of citizenship: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp In addition to including your full birth certificate (listing your parents' names), you would need to send a certified copy of your mother's naturalization certificate. If you can't find her certificate, you can have a search made of citizenship records by completing this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0058ETOC.asp Note that if you send the "search" form at the same time as you send the application for proof form, you do not have to pay an extra search fee.