+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I allowed to work?

Christina.G

Apr 20, 2010
Hi,
I'm from Germany and currently on a Working Holiday Visa which will run out beginning of June 2010. I might get the chance to work in Toronto during the G8 for about 2 weeks, which would be middle to end of June. I'm planning to stay in Canada to work and eventually get citizenship.
So now my question is: If my Work Visa ran out, but an application for PR or another Work Visa is still being processed, am I allowed to live and work in Canada? Is there any way I could make this work out for me?

Thanks,
Christina

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If memory serves me right, there are a couple of WHV programs between Germany and Canada and although you can not extend it or apply twice for the same program, you could apply for the other program, that is if you are on the work and travel visa, you could apply for the young workers program or reversed. That will buy you another year. The only other option to extend your work permit would be to get a regular work permit which would be based on your employer getting an LMO and you applying for a work permit based on that LMO. That would only allow you to work for the one employer. Applying for PR will not in itself grant you the right to work in Canada while you wait.

Christina.G

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Leon,
I researched it a bit more and it looks like I'm gonna have to get a regular work permit. Unfortunately I won't be able to get one for that job in summer, but hopefully I'll find another job.

honeybee

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
nd
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
June 2010
Leon is 100% right.

honeybee

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
nd
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
June 2010
Christina.G said:
Thanks Leon,
I researched it a bit more and it looks like I'm gonna have to get a regular work permit. Unfortunately I won't be able to get one for that job in summer, but hopefully I'll find another job.
best wishes