+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I a Canadian citizen

BRITTO

Mar 7, 2016
I was born in 1989, and my brother is 1994. My father was born outside canada, but came to live and work in Canada in 1989. I am not completely sure as to the exact date he became a citizen in canada, but he has been living and working there since I was born, making it 27 years this year. Would either myself or my brother be eligible to become Canadian citizens automatically? Under the new amendments to the immigration laws last year? :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on what you've written, you are not a citizen. It's possible your brother may have a claim to citizenship.

In order for you or your brother to have a claim to citizenship, your father needed to become a citizen before you were born. Since you were born the same year he moved to Canada to work - I think it's safe to assume he wasn't a citizen before you were born. There is some chance he may have become a citizen before your brother was born which would entitle your brother to citizenship. Can you find out when he became a citizen?

Also, I assume your father never filed separate paperwork while you were children to pass on citizenship to you - and you never lived in Canada with him. Correct?

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BRITTO said:
I was born in 1989, and my brother is 1994. My father was born outside canada, but came to live and work in Canada in 1989. I am not completely sure as to the exact date he became a citizen in canada, but he has been living and working there since I was born, making it 27 years this year. Would either myself or my brother be eligible to become Canadian citizens automatically? Under the new amendments to the immigration laws last year? :(
Were you (or your brother) born in Canada?
Was your father a Canadian citizen at the time of your (or your brother's) birth?

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
If you were born in Canada, yes. If not, you need to apply for Canadian citizenship as other people.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
If these statements are correct:
  • Your father became a Canadian citizen after you were born (It is irrelevant when he moved to Canada, it's only relevant when he became a citizen. If he moved in 1989 and you were born in the same year, I assume he wasn't a Canadian citizen at your birth)
  • You were born outside Canada (which I assume, otherwise you would be a citizen obviously)
  • When you father applied for citizenship, he didn't include you in the application

Then you are NOT a Canadian citizen by virtue of your father being/becoming one.

If I misread your post and one of the above statements isn't correct, please clarify.

BRITTO

Mar 7, 2016
I have never lived with him in canada and no, my brother and I were not born in canada. I don't have the exact date he was made a citizen. I would have to find out.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BRITTO said:
I have never lived with him in canada and no, my brother and I were not born in canada. I don't have the exact date he was made a citizen. I would have to find out.
In that case there's a chance your brother is a citizen (if he was born after your father became a citizen). You are unfortunately not a citizen.