+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I a canadian citezen by decent?

Rayjrango

Mar 8, 2016
I want to know that if my father was born in 1963, and was adopted by US citizens, and received his US citizenship in 1967, that if this would affect me trying to obtain my canadian citizenship by decent because of some law that if Canadians VOLENTERELY obtained another nations citezenship (before 02/14/1977) yeild s giving up their canadian citizenship. However he was born in canada. I could use some knowledge on how I could predict this outcome.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rayjrango said:
I want to know that if my father was born in 1963, and was adopted by US citizens, and received his US citizenship in 1967, that if this would affect me trying to obtain my canadian citizenship by decent because of some law that if Canadians VOLENTERELY obtained another nations citezenship (before 02/14/1977) yeild s giving up their canadian citizenship. However he was born in canada. I could use some knowledge on how I could predict this outcome.
If your father was born in Canada (and his parents weren't foreign diplomats), he and you are Canadian citizens. All you need to do is apply for proof of citizenship. However, due to the adoption (and probable name change), you will have to include documentation showing that the child named on the Canadian birth certificate (example: John Smith) and the person named as your father on your birth certificate (example: George Jones) are the same person.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Rayjrango

Mar 8, 2016
Thank you for your quick response. My application is in process. I did include documentation of his adoption papers, name change, copies of his canadian passport. It even says he was born in canada in my birth certificate.