+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Always secondary inspection to enter the US as PR. Will becoming a Canadian citizen change that?

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018
Hi guys,

My friend tried to enter the US when he received his Canadian PR card a few years ago because he has family members (from the same country of origin) who have come to Canada from the US on their green card only. All using the same type of passport.

He was told at the border that people from his country needed a US visitor visa and they denied him entry to the US. He then went and got the US visitor visa. So, when he flies to the US, he always goes to secondary inspection. Some officers asks a lot of questions and others 2-3 questions and then he's allowed in the country (never has been denied again). When he enters the US by land, if his I-94 is valid, the officer at the booth just asks a few questions and let him through. When he has to go inside the office for the I-94, that officer usually asks him many more questions but always let him through.

He is planning to apply for his Canadian citizenship over the next few days and was wondering if all this scrutiny in secondary inspection will go away. One of the nice US officers at the airport did tell him once that when he becomes a Canadian citizen, he'll be totally fine --no more secondary inspection. When he goes for his I-94, he usually brings that up too, he's like "I can't wait to become a Canadian citizenship," and the officer is usually like "Well you are almost there" or something like that (based on the fact that he already accumulated enough time to apply for the Canadian citizenship.

Even though he has gotten this positive feedback from the officers, he wonders if someone has gone through similar situations!

Has any of you guys always had to go through secondary inspection in the US while a PR and then once travelling with Canadian passport all that changed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
I would suspect that it is likely he will continue to receive such treatment at the border as a citizen. There is a flag on his file probably from attempting entry without a visa and I doubt being a citizen will make them ignore the flag. Plenty of Canadians are subjected to secondary screening.

I’d be interested in seeing the anecdotes from others but know that it isn’t guaranteed he will have similar experiences.

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
What your friend is going through are racial profiling. It sounds and feels and subjected to, bad. But it’s how our world works nowadays.
Thanks to the accomplishments of those ahead of your friend, whom are now enjoying their virgins.

I cannot blame the border police for doing their jobs. I blame those who ruined many things for a lot of us in their wake.

But of course, these are my humble opinion.

Reactions: qorax

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018
I would suspect that it is likely he will continue to receive such treatment at the border as a citizen. There is a flag on his file probably from attempting entry without a visa and I doubt being a citizen will make them ignore the flag. Plenty of Canadians are subjected to secondary screening.

I’d be interested in seeing the anecdotes from others but know that it isn’t guaranteed he will have similar experiences.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

One of the interesting points here is that the officers at the booth never send him to secondary inspection when traveling by land with a valid I-94.

So, I guess his case isn't so bad or his red flag isn't so red! (Haha) Otherwise, the officer at the booth would have him go to secondary when crossing the border by land even with a valid I-94.

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018
What your friend is going through are racial profiling. It sounds and feels and subjected to, bad. But it’s how our world works nowadays.
Thanks to the accomplishments of those ahead of your friend, whom are now enjoying their virgins.

I cannot blame the border police for doing their jobs. I blame those who ruined many things for a lot of us in their wake.

Thanks! Totally agree with you!! Even the same US officers at the airport have explicitly and clearly told him that once he travels with a Canadian passport, secondary won't be necessary.

Even with that info, he'd like to read from people who have gone through similar situations that's why he asked me to post the thread.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017

Racial profiling doesn't start and stop at muslims... And doesn't make it acceptable for 99.9% of them.

That being said, coming from a "shithole" country myself and having been subject to a secondary screening the only time I took a plane to the US, I'm also eager to find out how it turns out next time... :)

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018
Racial profiling doesn't start and stop at muslims... And doesn't make it acceptable for 99.9% of them.

That being said, coming from a "shithole" country myself and having been subject to a secondary screening the only time I took a plane to the US, I'm also eager to find out how it turns out next time... :)
Thanks!

Your case is also racial profiling for sure but I think your case is much less severe. They usually scrutinize a lot more the first time you fly into their country, so I would suspect that next time you fly to the US, you shouldn't go through a secondary. However, I have also heard about friends of friends who are from "shithole" countries (just like my friend and myself), who always but always have to go through secondary when flying just because their names are supposedly very similar to drug dealers...

I will certainly be glad to report back once he travels with his Canadian passport :)

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan

You’re the one who said the hush hush “M” word. I never said racial profiling only are subjected to one group of people. I meant it in general.
I said virgins because its where the OP said they are from. “They” have been included in profiling, because some of their compatriots did or are still trying to do harm on many innocent civilians.

How will you feel if your family member or you for example (knock on wood) becomes a victim, because our friends guarding the bordet felt bad doing their job? Or for instance the culprits are homegrown?

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Thanks! Totally agree with you!! Even the same US officers at the airport have explicitly and clearly told him that once he travels with a Canadian passport, secondary won't be necessary.

Even with that info, he'd like to read from people who have gone through similar situations that's why he asked me to post the thread.
I wouldn’t be too complacent on the words of any border officer.

There are a lot variables all parties should consider all the time.

I apologize for implying virgins.

Do you know I freakin so admire those kingpins in South America. They are Billionaires. Not the killings and maiming and many nasty stuffs. But how they manage their multi billion dollars “illegal” business.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You’re the one who said the hush hush “M” word. I never said racial profiling only are subjected to one group of people. I meant it in general.
I said virgins because its where the OP said they are from. “They” have been included in profiling, because some of their compatriots did or are still trying to do harm on many innocent civilians.

How will you feel if your family member or you for example (knock on wood) becomes a victim, because our friends guarding the bordet felt bad doing their job? Or for instance the culprits are homegrown?
Please, the enjoy the virgins part doesn't refer to australians :)

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013

For what it's worth, while racial profiling certainly is of course a problem, I am American (white) and was sent to secondary the first time I visited Canada. Maybe they thought I'd overstay since I was visiting my at the time boyfriend?

It was weird at the time too because I hadn't crossed a border before and just assumed it was normal to be asked in depth questions about your work and where you live, and who you were visiting, and why, how long you'd known them, how you met them, where they work, etc etc.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

Not necessarily ... I am not of certain race and religion but I get pulled in secondary every time (starting from a couple of years ago) , and I was told because someone with a similar name to mine is on some list , so every time I go through the system will see it as a red flag - then everytime after the interview they would tell me they’d try to fix it since I am obviously not their guy, and it was never fixed ... even though I got a nexus just to avoid the extra inspection

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I bet you, even if they say the original guy on the list name will be erased after 10 years will still be there for a long long time.
I am pretty sure too... what sucks is I have to travel to the US at least 4+ times a year for work and conferences, and would have to be at the airport much earlier than recommended to have some buffer for the secondary inspection. Anyway, my company wants to transfer me to the US branch - if I do make the move I won't have to deal with them as often. But I am still hesitant about it, at least I won't make a decision before I get my citizenship

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm not sure why so many people jumped to racial profiling. The person attempted to enter the US without a visa, so of course he was red flagged from that point on.