+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternative options - sponsoring a sibling

huma757

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some advice on my current situation. From available information, it appears only parents are eligible for sponsorship. I'm looking for alternative ways my younger sibling can join me in Canada.

My current family situation is that my mother has a long term serious illness so wouldn't be eligible for sponsorship. My father has one minor criminal charge (2017, non-violent and sentenced with a fine). My older sibling has mental health issues which has made home life very difficult for the whole family.

My youngest brother is turning 18 in December. Due to my mother's illness I have been his primary carer over the last few years. We are very close and he is quite vulnerable due to many difficulties in our home life. We have only had each other for support during these difficult times. I've been granted PR and will be moving in August. I'm trying to do some forward planning to find ways my brother can join me in Canada.

I understand that only siblings who are orphaned and under 19 can be sponsored. However, what are the other possible routes? I know he could possibly do some studies in Canada and eventually apply for IEC. However, studying as an international student will be incredibly expensive.

I also found that I might be able to sponsor my father and bring him in as the dependent of my father. However, I will have to meet a high minimum income and my brother will have to be under 22 by the time I apply. There is also the issue of my father's criminal charge. Do you think this will jeopardise my ability to sponsor him in the future? Do all applicants with criminal charges get refused? Regardless of whether it was minor / non-violent or not?

Any advice on the best way to have my sibling join me would be so appreciated.

Many thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some advice on my current situation. From available information, it appears only parents are eligible for sponsorship. I'm looking for alternative ways my younger sibling can join me in Canada.

My current family situation is that my mother has a long term serious illness so wouldn't be eligible for sponsorship. My father has one minor criminal charge (2017, non-violent and sentenced with a fine). My older sibling has mental health issues which has made home life very difficult for the whole family.

My youngest brother is turning 18 in December. Due to my mother's illness I have been his primary carer over the last few years. We are very close and he is quite vulnerable due to many difficulties in our home life. We have only had each other for support during these difficult times. I've been granted PR and will be moving in August. I'm trying to do some forward planning to find ways my brother can join me in Canada.

I understand that only siblings who are orphaned and under 19 can be sponsored. However, what are the other possible routes? I know he could possibly do some studies in Canada and eventually apply for IEC. However, studying as an international student will be incredibly expensive.

I also found that I might be able to sponsor my father and bring him in as the dependent of my father. However, I will have to meet a high minimum income and my brother will have to be under 22 by the time I apply. There is also the issue of my father's criminal charge. Do you think this will jeopardise my ability to sponsor him in the future? Do all applicants with criminal charges get refused? Regardless of whether it was minor / non-violent or not?

Many thanks,
Yes - one option would be to sponsor your father and include your brother in the application. Your mother would have to be included in this application as well (even if she isn't coming to Canada) - and all three would have to pass a medical. Also, you would have to be selected through the parent/grandparent lottery and would have to have enough income to cover yourself, the three people you are sponsoring and any other dependents you may have (i.e. spouse, children). However yes - your father's charges are most likely going to be a problem and result in the application being refused. Based on what you've said, he's most likely inadmissible to Canada until 2022. And yes, if he's inadmissible - he's going to be refused.

Only realistic option I see is the study permit route.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh - I missed that you only became a PR now. If that's the case, I don't see how it's going to be possible to sponsor your father and include your brother. By the time you have enough income - your brother will be too old to be included as a dependent.

Study permit is really the only option for him.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Oh - I missed that you only became a PR now. If that's the case, I don't see how it's going to be possible to sponsor your father and include your brother. By the time you have enough income - your brother will be too old to be included as a dependent.

Study permit is really the only option for him.
I also think that study permit is the only option, even the father had a clean record and the OP was eligible and picked to sponsor, because you missed another situation is that the OP's mother is in a long term serious illness, which will be medical inadmissibale, and cause the sponsorship to be refused.

huma757

Star Member
Oct 3, 2017
Thanks so much for your replies Yes, it seems the study route is really the only option. I will look for suitable courses and hopefully find something affordable and suitable for him.

It seems the policy of only parental sponsorship is quite rigid and doesn't account for more unique family situations. I would happily give up the option to sponsor parents if I could just sponsor my brother instead. I hope they change this in the future.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP

Many thanks,

As other forum posters as stated, the only way to bring your brother into Canada is to apply for a study permit. It will be expensive but its the only option for you currently. In a way, once your brother graduates from university, he will be eligible to apply for post graduate work permit which can help him gain work experience and allow him to apply for PR on his own without your sponsorship.

Reactions: YVR123 and huma757

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks so much for your replies Yes, it seems the study route is really the only option. I will look for suitable courses and hopefully find something affordable and suitable for him.

It seems the policy of only parental sponsorship is quite rigid and doesn't account for more unique family situations. I would happily give up the option to sponsor parents if I could just sponsor my brother instead. I hope they change this in the future.
My recommendation is to assume the policy with regards to sibling sponsorship is not going to change. This means that your brother will have to qualify for PR on his own through an economic immigration stream (like you did). So the best thing you can do for him is help him to get the education, language capabilities and work experience he needs to qualify under EE or a similar program.

Reactions: huma757