+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alot of questions I have about immigrating to Canada.

bluejay

Jul 18, 2007
I am a high school senior in the US who is looking to immigrate to Canada at some point after I graduate. Can anyone on this board give me any tips on what steps I should be taking? I checked out the Immigration sites and only found the obvious basic information. I have several questions and statements. I am looking for answers to the questions. I also would like to hear from Americans who moved to Canada and what they faced moving to Canada.

I am trying to learn French and am already fluent in English.

I would like to fit my career around a Job in high demand in Canada. Can anyone tell me if Brick Masonry is a growing job. and If I should get an apprenticeship in the US first or move to Canada and get it?

I would not have a problem with anti-American views because I am looking to cut all ties with the US and become a patriotic Canadian.

How does the health care system work?

Where are the best places to live?

What are some things I should be ready for?

What steps should I take as far as finding work and housing?

Is there anything elses I should know about?

JC

Star Member
Aug 25, 2005
Hi Bluejay,
One thing you will learn quickly is that YOU have to do your own 'homework' and only come to the board when you are stuck on specific issues. I recommend you study this site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp ..... Good luck …. It’s a long process!!

softncool

Star Member
Oct 31, 2006
Pakistan
Bluejay,
All your questions are related to POST IMMIGRATION.
First thing is to immigrate, for that best startup point is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Immigration itself is a long process, once you are through this you start looking for life after that. Offcource during this period you can get info about employment, life, healthcare, housing etc. Internet is a goo source. Almost all the provinces maintain websites and so do major cities.
Thanks
Cool

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
It isn't that difficult to immigrate from the US to Canada if you do your application properly. Furnish the required documents without any errors. Pay the whole immigration fee up front with your application which will save you months of waiting. If you are not accepted, your money will be returned and only a fee for the application will be kept. I believe 75$.

Brick Masonary if I remember well is in demand. You must have finished your schooling before applying. French is not a criteria to immigrate but a huge plus if you can speak it and very wise for you to learn it. I would come on a visit to Canada and check out jobs in your field and if you need a apprentiship, I would suggest to do it in Canada because then you would have a better opportunity to get a job.

The best places at this moment is in Quebec, in the Laurentians,there is a immigration program going on for people who are willing to come and work there as it is growing and buildings going up, so you may have a chance to immigrate, stay away from Montreal, it is saturated. When you apply, state that you are willing to go and work, live anywhere, where you would be needed. That is a huge plus when you write this. You can always move after a year anywhere else.

Have you some experience in masonry?

Important also not to have a criminal record or a incurable sickness or any sickness that needs medical attention.

I would suggest to ask immigration where in Canada your type or work is in need.