+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Allowed houshold items to bring

oagady

Apr 22, 2011
Hi

Me and my family are immigrating to Canada in June (we are currently living in US). We are doing landing and bringing personal items simultaneously, and we are planning to bring all the personal items including mattresses (used). We found a conflicting info about bringing mattresses to Canada. In some lists of "not allowed items" mattresses are not mentioned. In others, the instructions are that if you want to bring mattresses, you have to fume them before.

Does anyone knows what the rule is?

Thanks
Olga

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

oagady said:
Hi

Me and my family are immigrating to Canada in June (we are currently living in US). We are doing landing and bringing personal items simultaneously, and we are planning to bring all the personal items including mattresses (used). We found a conflicting info about bringing mattresses to Canada. In some lists of "not allowed items" mattresses are not mentioned. In others, the instructions are that if you want to bring mattresses, you have to fume them before.

Does anyone knows what the rule is?

Thanks
Olga

Personal mattresses don't have to be fumigated, it is only commercial ones.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Sorry to throw this one up again, but I found the same restriction yesterday - we land in 2 weeks! - and I called Border Services to confirm it.
They have said that it does need to be done because there was an outbreak of bed-bugs last year??
We have found a couple of companies that will do it, so now we are working out the cost against just buying new ones when we arrive.
So frustrating because our boy's beds are the only furniture we are bringing with us!!!

Liferocks

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Muscat
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2009
Doc's Request.
22-07-2009
File Transfer...
28-07-2009
Med's Request
9-6-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
What about new unused mattresses..............do we have to fumigate them??? please advise.............. ???

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
New mattresses are fine, we're now trying to decide if it's cheaper to get them cleaned & ship them or buy new ones when we arrive

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you getting the bed from Canada? Make sure the ones you are going to ship would be compatible with the new ones. I'm going to bring both bed and mattresses from home country.

oagady

Apr 22, 2011
There is a legal article about mattress fumigation for moving to Canada. Apparently, there are exeptions, and it looks to me that the settles dont' get under the rule. I tried to post the link to the article, but got a message that I am not allowed to post the links

You can find this article, if you google "Mattress Fumigation us". This will be the forth result titled "Mattress Fumigation-Canada : British Expat Wiki"

Do we get under the following tariff (?):

Tariff No. 9807.00.00 concerns Settles Effect

If yes, then we do not need to fumigate