Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
Hi, We will be permanently moving to Alberta after staying 8-9 months in India, and our Ontario health card will be deactivated, so how many days it takes to get new Alberta health card (after landing and making Alberta as permanent destination home) ? I heard it takes 90 days ( 3 months from day of landing, as in Ontario)

How much will Emergency critical illness health insurance for 90 days cost per month for 37 years old couple with 3 years old kid ?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Your OHIP card does not become "deactivated', in case you need to see a Dr in Alberta, you would show them your OHIP card, and they bill Ontario for any medical services.
See link for information, and additional important information
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx

If you have moved to Alberta from another province or territory and intend to live here for 12 months or more, you must apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) health care coverage within 3 months of establishing residency in Alberta.
In Alberta, your coverage begins on the first day of the third month following your date you established residency in Alberta. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage is determined when you register.
For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
While waiting to receive your Alberta personal health card, continue to use your health card from your previous province or territory when accessing insured health services.

I have used my OHIP card in Alberta numerous times over the past 30 years, and have never been charged for any difference between the rates applied in Ontario versus Alberta, not saying it does not happen, but I have not seen it The staff are accustomed to having out of province visitors, or people under another provinces system, and waiting out the three month window. They just take a photocopy of the card, you fill in a form

Last edited:

moga_PB29

Jun 12, 2015
Brampton,Ontario
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
26 November 2014
Nomination.....
March 2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1: Feb 2015 , AOR 2: April 2015
Med's Request
May 2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
Your OHIP card does not become "deactivated', in case you need to see a Dr in Alberta, you would show them your OHIP card, and they bill Ontario for any medical services.
See link for information, and additional important information
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx

If you have moved to Alberta from another province or territory and intend to live here for 12 months or more, you must apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) health care coverage within 3 months of establishing residency in Alberta.
In Alberta, your coverage begins on the first day of the third month following your date you established residency in Alberta. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage is determined when you register.
For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
While waiting to receive your Alberta personal health card, continue to use your health card from your previous province or territory when accessing insured health services.

I have used my OHIP card in Alberta numerous times over the past 30 years, and have never been charged for any difference between the rates applied in Ontario versus Alberta, not saying it does not happen, but I have not seen it The staff are accustomed to having out of province visitors, or people under another provinces system, and waiting out the three month window. They just take a photocopy of the card, you fill in a form
Hi thanks for information, but Service Ontario told us if we stay out of Canada and stay out of Ontario for more than 6 months (in our case we will be out of Canada for 9 months apxx.) AIHP card will be canceled and when we will come back to CANADA in ALBERTA, our OHIP card will not work. Service onatrio informed us and clearly mentioned on OHIP website. Link https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada#section-4

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi thanks for information, but Service Ontario told us if we stay out of Canada and stay out of Ontario for more than 6 months (in our case we will be out of Canada for 9 months apxx.) AIHP card will be canceled and when we will come back to CANADA in ALBERTA, our OHIP card will not work. Service onatrio informed us and clearly mentioned on OHIP website. Link https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada#section-4
Yes you time out Canada likely means you no longer qualify for OHIP and should not use the OHIP card. Alberta will have to determine whether you can get coverage right away or whether you will need to wait 3 months and get private insurance.

moga_PB29

Jun 12, 2015
Brampton,Ontario
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
26 November 2014
Nomination.....
March 2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1: Feb 2015 , AOR 2: April 2015
Med's Request
May 2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
Yes you time out Canada likely means you no longer qualify for OHIP and should not use the OHIP card. Alberta will have to determine whether you can get coverage right away or whether you will need to wait 3 months and get private insurance.
I think we need to wait for apxx 3 months time period and we will buy 3 months critical emergency insurance plan for whole family for 3 months. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think we need to wait for apxx 3 months time period and we will buy 3 months critical emergency insurance plan for whole family for 3 months. Thanks
Yes that is the best plan. I also believe you will be counted as someone moving provinces versus arriving from abroad but it is up to Alberta to determine that.

Eisuk

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Yes that is the best plan. I also believe you will be counted as someone moving provinces versus arriving from abroad but it is up to Alberta to determine that.
Hi canuck,
If we move from BC to Alberta, do we also need to buy a private insurance to wait out the 3 month waiting period?
From what we understand, we could use our BC health card (i.e. for hospitalization purposes) and BC province will be billed?
But shouldn't we inform BC of moving to Alberta right away? It wouldn't make sense to cancel our BC coverage BEFORE we are covered in Alberta though.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck,
If we move from BC to Alberta, do we also need to buy a private insurance to wait out the 3 month waiting period?
From what we understand, we could use our BC health card (i.e. for hospitalization purposes) and BC province will be billed?
But shouldn't we inform BC of moving to Alberta right away? It wouldn't make sense to cancel our BC coverage BEFORE we are covered in Alberta though.

Thanks
How long have you lived in BC?

Smile24x7

Mar 8, 2016
Hi @canuck78 - thank you always for your kind support to our concerns.
Relating to the healthcare coverage in Alberta, as I am moving to Calgary from overseas after 3 years receiving PR, do you think I can still be eligible for right away coverage? :confused:

Many thanks,
Gina

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Relating to the healthcare coverage in Alberta, as I am moving to Calgary from overseas after 3 years receiving PR, do you think I can still be eligible for right away coverage? :confused:

Many thanks,
Gina
Yes you should be. Do you have a valid PR card? The economy is pretty tough especially in Calgary so I hope you have looked into job opportunities before relocating

Snell

Aug 17, 2021

Many thanks,
Gina
Hi Gina,

Curious to know. Did you receive the Health Coverage from day one or after completing 3 months?

Thanks
Snell

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Gina,

Curious to know. Did you receive the Health Coverage from day one or after completing 3 months?

Thanks
Snell
If you haven’t met the 6 months in Ontario you aren’t entitled to OHIP so you may end up with 3 months without coverage because OHIP would be responsible for your coverage for 3 months but if OHIP realizes you haven’t met their RO to receive OHIP they will refuse to pay.