Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
My wife is a PR and she recently came back to Alberta before her PR card expiry and now her PR card has expired. Before her card expiry, I have sent an email to Alberta Health for re-instating her AB health care with the supporting documents. However, Alberta Health says you cannot get health insurance on an expired PR card so I have had two different answers on the health insurance. I currently have a travel insurance for her until the end of this month.
What are my options to obtain health insurance for her (her insurance lapsed as she was out of Canada for more than 2 years) in the worst case that AB health wont process her application unless she gets her PR card renewed ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife is a PR and she recently came back to Alberta before her PR card expiry and now her PR card has expired. Before her card expiry, I have sent an email to Alberta Health for re-instating her AB health care with the supporting documents. However, Alberta Health says you cannot get health insurance on an expired PR card so I have had two different answers on the health insurance. I currently have a travel insurance for her until the end of this month.
What are my options to obtain health insurance for her (her insurance lapsed as she was out of Canada for more than 2 years) in the worst case that AB health wont process her application unless she gets her PR card renewed ?
Does she meet her RO?

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
Yes she meets her RO. She has 800+ days of physical presence in the last 5 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes she meets her RO. She has 800+ days of physical presence in the last 5 years.
Residency obligations for healthcare are different than for PR. When did she return to Alberta and how much time had she spent out of Alberta before that?

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
she lost her Alberta health validity on June 30. so I am reapplying for it. Currently have private insurance until the end of the month and also have bluecross family plan from my employer for drugs/vision/dental.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
she lost her Alberta health validity on June 30. so I am reapplying for it. Currently have private insurance until the end of the month and also have bluecross family plan from my employer for drugs/vision/dental.
Bluecross will likely not cover your wife until she has provincial healthcare. That is usually one of the requirements in the fine print. You can verify with bluecross or your HR department.

Reactions: YVR123