+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Health Card

adriano_0

Feb 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
-Hello some in this forum know my story,I'm PR of Canada since 2011.But i have live on the Qc province and during the end of the year 2012 i have move on Ab(Edmonton) but i have I have not applied that time for Ab health Card because i have stayed only 1 month and go back to Qc again but my permanent address in Canada is on AB,Edmonton since 2012 and when i have been back to Qc i not have stay there not much time,And now I am in my home country and i have a PRTD(Permanent Resident Travel Document) issued and i will be arriving on Canada Monday of next weak and i now i want to move permanently in Edmonton AB.

1.Can i apply for AB Health Card,What documents i need?And how month i need to wait that Ab to cover my with the Health Card?Because Qc need to wait 3 month?

2.Can i apply for Ab Driver License,i have driving license of my Country is there any possible to have a Driver License of Alberta with 12 points not like the new driver's they have i think with 6 points for one year?What documents should i have?

3.Can i Use my SIN number to work in AB,Edmonton?

Best Regards...

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Were you outside Canada for at least six months? If yes:

1) You can apply right away. There is no time limit if you are moving from a foreign country. You'll need your PR card/COPR and ID.

2) It depends on which country your license is from. http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm

3) Yes

If you haven't been outside Canada for six months, you may still be considered a resident of Quebec...

If you were outside for Canada for more than six months, your place of residence cannot be anywhere in Canada.

It would easiest to just bring proof you were living outside Canada before you moved and apply for healthcare with that documentation.

adriano_0

Feb 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you.

-First one NO i haven been stay outside of Canada for six month,but my address in Canada i have been move from Qc to AB on august 2012 so what can i do because i have find a job in that job they have ask my a Ab health Card for insurance?

Total time i have stayed outside Canada during the time from i have landed as PR of Canada(August 2011) are up to 4 month.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
In that case, you're in a gray area. You no longer qualify for Quebec or Alberta healthcare as a Canadian resident. It's best to bring proof of residence overseas and proof you just moved back to Canada. Hopefully, Healthcare Services will accept it.

Here is the form: http://easweb.eas.ualberta.ca/download/file/grad/Alberta_Health_Care_Application.pdf

In this case, since you never actually lived in Alberta, you would be a new resident. (You also don't have a healthcare number to give them as a returning resident and they will want that.)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have Quebec health care and did you spend at least 6 months in Quebec in the past year? If that is the case, Quebec health will cover you for the first 3 months while you wait to get AB health. If that is not the case, you should talk to AB health and explain your situation. If they see your move as an international move, they may give you coverage right away. If they see it as a move from Quebec, they may give you a 3 month waiting period.

If you have more than 2 years driving experience, you need proof of that or if your drivers license has the issue date more than 2 years ago and you get it translated, that may be enough. You need to present your license and translation at a registry in AB. If your country has an exchange agreement, they will just exchange it for an AB license. If not, they will let you take the written exam but you will have to wait with the road test for AB to evaluate your license. When they ok it, you can take the road test and get a full license. If you have less than 2 years, you get a GDL license.

You can use your SIN anywhere in Canada.

adriano_0

Feb 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes Leon i have spend more then 6 month in Qc i have spend around 11 month yes i do have a Quebec health card.

i have my drivers license from my country since 2009 i have 4 years experience driving,i don't need to translate my driver license because my country has 3 official language on of them is and English language so in my Driver license is writing also in English language and shows the date of the issuing the driver license since 2009.And my country don't have a an exchange agreement,but is okay i will take the written exam and the road test,but if i pass the written exam how many week do i need to wait to go on the road test?

For the SIN number is very good to use that in all of Canada.

Thank you Sir for your response and advice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you take the written test and hand in your license, you have to call the registry to find out when you can take the road test. It is not supposed to take more than around 2 weeks.