+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Airline said my valid immigrant VISA WAS CANCELED before boarding to YVR

beforeosei

Nov 8, 2022
Guys, this is the weirdest thing that happened to me. Please let me know if you have similar experiences or suggestions.

I have applied for Express Entry with my wife (she is the dependent). Our visas were stamped and issued. Yesterday I was about to board a plane from China to Vancouver, BC to complete my immigration journey's landing process. However, I was told by the airline that my visa was shown canceled on the Canadian side after the airline confirmed with their Canadian contacts (Air Carrier Support Center, reported by the airline after I pressed the information).

As of today, I hold a valid passport, Canadian immigrant visa, and COPR paper on good dates. There was no communication from IRCC ever indicating a cancelation or the reason behind it.

After I received the visa, I did make one contact with IRCC for my wife's passport renewal. She lost her passport with the visa and IRCC has instructed a replacement process. I have clarified that I'll land first while my wife renews her documents. I suspect this could be the only reason for canceling the entire application, even though it is likely a mistake because my travel document was unaffected.

I desperately seek to verify whether this is a mistake or what steps I should take to continue my immigration process. Here is what I have done so far: send inquiries via IRCC webforms under the category of Express Entry. Not much, right? I also spoke to a couple of immigration lawyers, but none have encountered a similar experience.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. How to quickly verify things with IRCC, if you have heard of similar experience, what could be the rationale, etc. All appreciated!

Best,
Beforeosei

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Guys, this is the weirdest thing that happened to me. Please let me know if you have similar experiences or suggestions.

I have applied for Express Entry with my wife (she is the dependent). Our visas were stamped and issued. Yesterday I was about to board a plane from China to Vancouver, BC to complete my immigration journey's landing process. However, I was told by the airline that my visa was shown canceled on the Canadian side after the airline confirmed with their Canadian contacts (Air Carrier Support Center, reported by the airline after I pressed the information).

As of today, I hold a valid passport, Canadian immigrant visa, and COPR paper on good dates. There was no communication from IRCC ever indicating a cancelation or the reason behind it.

After I received the visa, I did make one contact with IRCC for my wife's passport renewal. She lost her passport with the visa and IRCC has instructed a replacement process. I have clarified that I'll land first while my wife renews her documents. I suspect this could be the only reason for canceling the entire application, even though it is likely a mistake because my travel document was unaffected.

I desperately seek to verify whether this is a mistake or what steps I should take to continue my immigration process. Here is what I have done so far: send inquiries via IRCC webforms under the category of Express Entry. Not much, right? I also spoke to a couple of immigration lawyers, but none have encountered a similar experience.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. How to quickly verify things with IRCC, if you have heard of similar experience, what could be the rationale, etc. All appreciated!

Best,
Beforeosei
Unfortunately there's really no way to verify anything quickly with IRCC. Sending a case specific inquiry was the right thing to do. You'll have to wait for them to respond.

You are probably right that this has something to do with your wife losing her passport and needing a new passport. Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do but wait for a response from IRCC.

flaviosilva

Sep 11, 2022

Best,
Beforeosei
Try calling IRCC. On the link below you can find a person explaining how to call them. Best of luck to you.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/posts/10149250/

Reactions: beforeosei

flaviosilva

Sep 11, 2022
I doubt this is the case but it may be possible anyway...
I watched a video a couple of weeks ago of a US immigration lawyer (from Brazil) saying he had some clients who were having a similar issue but with US visas (not related to Canada at all). The airlines would tell their customers that their visa was suspended or that they were forbidden to enter USA or something similar.
In the video he stated he SUSPECTED it probably had to do with airlines being overbooked and making up excuses to stop passengers from boarding, since some of those passengers tried to board again on the next day and it worked.
If this is really true, it's absurd and it's base for legal action, however I highly doubt an airline would go this far to solve an overbooking situation.

Reactions: leevick

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018

Best,
Beforeosei
What does your online gckey status show ? is it still in "Approved" stage or back to "Submitted" (assuming your wife's renewal process caused IRCC to cancel your CoPR).

If it was later, then probably airlines was right. However I suggest you check with IRCC or local embassy/consulate to know the exact status and reason.

Please also check post #59 onwards on this page - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/denied-boarding.736880/page-4

Reactions: beforeosei

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I doubt this is the case but it may be possible anyway...
I watched a video a couple of weeks ago of a US immigration lawyer (from Brazil) saying he had some clients who were having a similar issue but with US visas (not related to Canada at all). The airlines would tell their customers that their visa was suspended or that they were forbidden to enter USA or something similar.
In the video he stated he SUSPECTED it probably had to do with airlines being overbooked and making up excuses to stop passengers from boarding, since some of those passengers tried to board again on the next day and it worked.
If this is really true, it's absurd and it's base for legal action, however I highly doubt an airline would go this far to solve an overbooking situation.
I worked for an airline for close to 30 years . Your idea it’s some sort of conspiracy in connection to airlines overbooking flights is BEYOND ridiculous, let’s throw in it’s a base for legal action just for a good measure.
I want whatever you’re smokin bud

beforeosei

Nov 8, 2022
What does your online gckey status show ? is it still in "Approved" stage or back to "Submitted" (assuming your wife's renewal process caused IRCC to cancel your CoPR).

If it was later, then probably airlines was right. However I suggest you check with IRCC or local embassy/consulate to know the exact status and reason.

Please also check post #59 onwards on this page - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/denied-boarding.736880/page-4
That's an interesting point and thanks for raising it. It's been a few months, but I do recall when I just received the visas the gckey status was "Approved" or in some complete stage. Now it says "we are still processing...." The status changed after I contacted IRCC regarding my wife's passport loss. I thought it merely reflected my wife's document situation, but now it sounds connected to the entire application package. But on what ground?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
That's an interesting point and thanks for raising it. It's been a few months, but I do recall when I just received the visas the gckey status was "Approved" or in some complete stage. Now it says "we are still processing...." The status changed after I contacted IRCC regarding my wife's passport loss. I thought it merely reflected my wife's document situation, but now it sounds connected to the entire application package. But on what ground?
If the status of your application changed to submitted even before you reached airport, I dont blame the airlines :) . I am also assuming that your counterfoil details has disappeared. You certainly need to try to get on call with IRCC to understand your status.