+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Air travel after oath

inkomati

Dec 2, 2022
I've received my invitation to take the oath on July 4 (a bit ironic, as I'm American!) but will be going to visit the US soon after from July 12-30. I assume I'll be able to get an e-certificate of citizenship and re-enter using my US passport, but I want to make sure all my bases are covered in advance. If I don't have a certificate of citizenship or my PR card, do I understand correctly that airline companies might not let me board my return flight to Canada? A land entry would be pretty expensive and hard to do logistically. Is there anything I should try to do between the oath and my travel on the 12th? Thanks!

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
I've received my invitation to take the oath on July 4 (a bit ironic, as I'm American!) but will be going to visit the US soon after from July 12-30. I assume I'll be able to get an e-certificate of citizenship and re-enter using my US passport, but I want to make sure all my bases are covered in advance. If I don't have a certificate of citizenship or my PR card, do I understand correctly that airline companies might not let me board my return flight to Canada? A land entry would be pretty expensive and hard to do logistically. Is there anything I should try to do between the oath and my travel on the 12th? Thanks!
As a US citizen, you can fly back using US passport. Be sure to not mention anything about Canadian citizenship to airline agent.

inkomati

Dec 2, 2022
As a US citizen, you can fly back using US passport. Be sure to not mention anything about Canadian citizenship to airline agent.
I won't have a return date to the US, though. That always gets flagged. I've always had to go check manually in for my return flights to Canada and 99% of the time the airline attendant asks me about visa/PR/citizenship status.

Minister D

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Even if he/ she mentions it it won’t be a problem. The Canadian officer might ask why u not using your canadian passport but they won’t stop you. They just being curious

Minister D

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
I won't have a return date to the US, though. That always gets flagged. I've always had to go check manually in for my return flights to Canada and 99% of the time the airline attendant asks me about visa/PR/citizenship status.
Just show them ur e-certificate, shouldn’t be a problem

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
Just show them your US passport. Read the exception below.

Travelling to or transiting through Canada by air
Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport to board a flight to or transit through Canada by air.

If your other country of citizenship needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure you carry both passports when you travel. Find out more about why you need to travel or transit through Canada with a valid Canadian passport to avoid delays and/or possible missed flights.

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

If you do not have a valid Canadian passport and are at an airport or flying to Canada in a few days, you may be able to apply for a Special Authorization.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

inkomati

Dec 2, 2022
Just show them your US passport. Read the exception below.

Travelling to or transiting through Canada by air
Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport to board a flight to or transit through Canada by air.

If your other country of citizenship needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure you carry both passports when you travel. Find out more about why you need to travel or transit through Canada with a valid Canadian passport to avoid delays and/or possible missed flights.

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

If you do not have a valid Canadian passport and are at an airport or flying to Canada in a few days, you may be able to apply for a Special Authorization.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship
Thank you, this is very clear!