+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AIP & crossing border as US citizen?

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
Has anyone successfully crossed the border with an approval in principal letter? Semester starts September 14th. I am a mature student with a child and am renting a house in Canada (lease started August 1st). I need time to settle in and unpack and do need to be in Canada to pursue my program. Nervous about heading to the border with all of the uncertainty and not wanting to turn around a moving truck to come back to a house in the US pending sale and a Canadian house I can’t get to..... Anyone make it over?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Here's the requirements:
Make sure you have proof that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions and that you’re travelling for a non-optional or non-discretionary purpose.

When the border services officer greets you, they will look at several factors, including whether
  • you’re already living in Canada
  • you’re able to complete a 14-day quarantine period as soon as you arrive at your final destination
  • you begin studying after you complete your quarantine
  • you need to be in Canada for your program (for laboratories, workshops)
  • pursuing your studies online is not an option at your school or not possible from your home country (due to internet restrictions or bandwidth limitation)
You must also bring
  • a valid study permit, or
  • a port of entry letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit, if you’re coming from the United States, or
  • a port of entry letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, if you’re coming from any other country
A border services officer will make a final decision on your eligibility to enter Canada when you arrive.
My understanding is you would likely not be allowed to enter at this time, as AIP is not a POE letter of introduction and you don't already live in Canada.

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
Call the Canadian Border Services Agency. A border agent will answer the phone and they *try* to be helpful. They'll give you an indication of your chances with that. Please let me know what they say!

1-800-461-9999 (6am-10pm EST, 7-days a week).

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
You have no approval in principle, your study permit has gone through the first stage of assessment. You need a letter of introduction to confirm your study permit has been approved. It's not great at all for you and others.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: row.one

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
So the first stage letter that says you can begin your studies is not an AIP? My immigration attorney said that it is very rare to be rejected if you pass the first stage. What am I missing?

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
The email you receive says your application has advanced through the first stage. I'd read the words on the email.
I did read the words on the letter. It specifically states that "...you may begin studies..." Is there something else that is being issued as a successful completion of the first step? My understanding was that AIP was granted if you passed the first step.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
IRCC use the term aip only with permanent residence applications.

In the email and in published articles from IRCC, there is no mention of aip related to the temporary 2 stage processing of study permits. You may use the term.but ircc does not.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
shame on you man spreading fake information. stay in your limits please.
Fake?
I've stated facts. Facts which you can verify.
You have harassed me, can you please stop? That is verifiable too, you accused me of spreading fake information yesterday and a few days earlier. I am requesting you now stop harassing me and stop false accusations against me. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Look the term AIP is used extensively for the Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) so nobody can criticise anyone for stating fact. It is just unfortunate that somewhere AIP has also been used for Approval In Principle for the first stage approval of a study permit.

So everyone is right although I cannot personally find any IRCC reference using AIP term for study permits unless someone here can share that link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/atlantic-immigration-pilot-programs/assessing-application-against-selection-criteria.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/07/minister-mendicino-announces-changes-to-facilitate-online-learning-for-international-students.html

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020

In the email and in published articles from IRCC, there is no mention of aip related to the temporary 2 stage processing of study permits. You may use the term.but ircc does not.

I’m sure there is a lot of confusion across the board on policy, procedure, and (yes) terminology. I mean, this is all major new policy rollout in a matter of weeks/ a few short months where generally new policy takes years to draft and roll out.

I am using the term AIP because that is the term my College is using.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
The ridiculous situation is that many applicants with complete applications
have their study permits approved already if they applied a few months ago, but IRCC have deliberately held back releasing these approvals. It is making the lives of applicants very difficult for some and at the very least, it's causing anxiety.

There has been no transparency which would at least reduce the anxiety.

This 2 stage process would have been effective if the oldest applications had been processed first and if a IRCC offices had worked at the same pace. Some IRCC offices appear to have emailed no applicants at all about advancement to 2nd stage

In Quebec at least, it was confirmed that only a CAQ is needed for online study, no study permit. But some potential students will be reluctant to start without a study permit, no knowing if they'll be approved, risk of paying fees for nothing,.

I really think it's highly inappropriate to make false accusations against posters here like me. Most here will be in the same position, waiting for approval of study permit.

CommentDebate

Jul 12, 2020
Look the term AIP is used extensively for the Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) so nobody can criticise anyone for stating fact. It is just unfortunate that somewhere AIP has also been used for Approval In Principle for the first stage approval of a study permit.

So everyone is right although I cannot personally find any IRCC reference using AIP term for study permits unless someone here can share that link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/atlantic-immigration-pilot-programs/assessing-application-against-selection-criteria.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/07/minister-mendicino-announces-changes-to-facilitate-online-learning-for-international-students.html
The temporary process will allow applicants to count the time spent studying online abroad towards their post-graduation work permit once they receive an approval-in-principle, as long as they are able to satisfy all requirements and receive the full approval of their study permit application at a later date. From this link

Also IRCC webinars held by Delhi Office in India was referring to AIP. There was a powerpoint slide made by IRCC which had the heading. Documents required for AIP. I will try to link that document in my next comment if possible.

CommentDebate

Jul 12, 2020

Please refer to my comment above. IRCC has used the term AIP for study permit applications.