+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

ray28

Nov 16, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I got AINP nomination last year through H1B visa category and am in the final stages of getting my PR visa. I am planning to complete my landing formalities sometime in April/May next yr. can someone in this forum share some tips about landing and applying for the PR card, temporary accommodation etc.

Thank you,
Ravi

sarayu

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Nov-2012
Nomination.....
29-Mar-2012 Nomination Extn: 28-Sep-2012
AOR Received.
13-Jan-2013
Med's Request
16-Jan-2013
Med's Done....
25-Jan-2013 ECAS "Med Rec": 21-Mar-2013 In Process: 05-Sep-2013 Decision Made: 05-Oct-2013
Passport Req..
07-Oct-2013 & 20-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
10-Mar-2014
ray28 said:
Hi Everyone,

I got AINP nomination last year through H1B visa category and am in the final stages of getting my PR visa. I am planning to complete my landing formalities sometime in April/May next yr. can someone in this forum share some tips about landing and applying for the PR card, temporary accommodation etc.

Thank you,
Ravi
Hi Ravi,

I have just now sent you an email. Please respond back to me.

Thanks.

Kram

Jan 22, 2013
Hi

I am AINP-H1b candidate got my PR approved and planning to enter canada through border of Van couver(seattle) during this weekend 28th or 29th... I was planning to give one of my relative address in Toronto. I did spoke with my representative and she said it should be fine.

Does any of you guys had any problem with giving address other than alberta for mailing PR cards.

I really Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks
Ram

karmavatar

Mar 16, 2012
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Anybody from recent experience, upon landing does the Canadian IO automatically ask for the address where PR card will be received irrespective of whether or not one is going to stay in Canada long term or get back at later date?
In other words,
suppose the question asked is - Have you come permanently or temporarily stay and get back at later date.
And one answers - Temporary stay. Then IO might say - apply for PR at later date when you come back to stay permanently.

And if one answers - Permanent stay, and suppose if it is still not convincing enough to IO and IO doesn't apply for PR.....then what is the next step? Can one take a blank PR form and still apply for a PR from the airport or go outside into the city? If it is possible, what information is needed from entry process to be carried into this PR form?

Thank you,

venkatraoy

Dec 25, 2013
Hello Friends,
I am new to this form ,Would any one help me in Landing Process at Windsor.
We got Alberta Nomination Landing papers . valid till Feb 2014. Destination in the documents mentioned as Edmonton (Alberta)
We are planing to cross the boarder at Windsor( Detroit) on Jan 20th 2014, to complete Landing Formalities we are going to Toronto for H1 and H4 Visa Stamping.
Our questions is does is acceptable to land in Windsor instead of Alberta??can we give my Friends address at Windsor for PR cards?One of my friend saying now a days . they are going stamping as immigrants in passport, not issuing PR cards,is it correct?
We plan to re enter in July 2014 ( since our children are in school) do we need ti indicate that we are just to complete the formalities and will re enter Any help is greatly appreciated.
If any one landed recently with this situation please send contact details,I can contact.
Thanks in advance for you help friends.
Venkat

sarayu

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Nov-2012
Nomination.....
29-Mar-2012 Nomination Extn: 28-Sep-2012
AOR Received.
13-Jan-2013
Med's Request
16-Jan-2013
Med's Done....
25-Jan-2013 ECAS "Med Rec": 21-Mar-2013 In Process: 05-Sep-2013 Decision Made: 05-Oct-2013
Passport Req..
07-Oct-2013 & 20-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
10-Mar-2014
venkatraoy said:
Hello Friends,
I am new to this form ,Would any one help me in Landing Process at Windsor.
We got Alberta Nomination Landing papers . valid till Feb 2014. Destination in the documents mentioned as Edmonton (Alberta)
We are planing to cross the boarder at Windsor( Detroit) on Jan 20th 2014, to complete Landing Formalities we are going to Toronto for H1 and H4 Visa Stamping.
Our questions is does is acceptable to land in Windsor instead of Alberta??can we give my Friends address at Windsor for PR cards?One of my friend saying now a days . they are going stamping as immigrants in passport, not issuing PR cards,is it correct?
We plan to re enter in July 2014 ( since our children are in school) do we need ti indicate that we are just to complete the formalities and will re enter Any help is greatly appreciated.
If any one landed recently with this situation please send contact details,I can contact.
Thanks in advance for you help friends.
Venkat
Hi Venkat,

I sent you a personal message, please check it.

Thanks,
Sarayu.

nik1754

Jan 10, 2014
I am new to this form ,
Can someone please help me with Landing Process.

1. What all documents do I need to carry while Landing.
2. I am AINP candidate Can I land thru Ambassador Bridge? I do have Alberta mailing address where I want my PR cards to be mailed, I am planning on spending 2-3 days in Toronto and return back.
3. I am on H1B, I have valid I797 upto Nov 2014, Have expired H1 B stamp from previous company Can I use AVR?
4. My wife has valid H4 stamp, but in Dec 13 she moved to F1 so she has to go for F1visa stamping worst case if her F1 gets rejected can she reenter on H4 as she still has valid H4 stamp till Nov 2014.
5.Do I have to declare every thing (furniture, TV, electronics) that I am going to move to Canada now only or I can update the list at later date. That means if I buy any thing between after landing and before moving to Canada Permanently can I move these goods to Canada or not.
6. Can I apply for Alberta Health Insurance, SIN card in Toronto or will have to wait until I move there permanently.

Thank you,
nik

panamio2000

Star Member
Feb 5, 2012
Sayayu and AINP Friends
I'm an AINP, I don't have an Alberta address yet and I'm planing my Landing via Ontario (heading to visit my cousin in Toronto). Any suggestions?? My main concern is that I DO NOT have an address for Alberta because I have not travel to Alberta yet. I'm planing in moving to Alberta once we get ready; however, in the mean time I'm giving my cousin's address in Toronto to get my PR. Any Thoughts??? Do I need an Alberta address?? Do I have to Land in Alberta to avoid delays or unnecessary questioning??

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
baraynawab said:
Hello Friends,

I landed in Canada through Detroit Ambassador bridge.

One of the immigration officer called us and asked us some questions:

IO: What brings you to Canada?
ME: I am landing here today as a part of the immigration process

IO: Are you moving in to Canada today ?
ME: We are here to complete the landing formalities and are travelling back to the US immediately. I have my job until end of November and I intend to move to Canada permanently after that.

The immigration officer started asking some regular Qs about goods to follow and We were asked to wait. After waiting for 20 minutes, the immigration officer called us again.

IO: Please sign these COPR forms without touching the green border.
ME: -- Signed the forms --

She tore off one of the pages in the COPR form and stapled it to our passports and put a seal with the landing date.

IO: Your landing has been completed and the proof for the same is attached to your passport.

The immigration officer informed me that since I'm not moving in I cannot apply for PR Card and asked me to apply for PR card when I live in Canada and she also told me that with the landing paper attached to the passport we can't travel to canada through air but only by road.so I asked what my options are if i am flying from india to canada she said you can get a travel document from embassy in delhi and travel with that.

ME: I didn't know what to say now.

IO: Do you have any questions for me? Hand over this slip to the security officer outside.
A: No Thank you so much for your help.

Handed over the slip and the security officer released the vehicle keys to us.

Made a U-turn and started traveling into the US and successfully used AVR. But, they made an entry on our passports.

What's my option to apply for PR Card now ? any suggestion ? help?

Thanks

Today I checked the ECas status and it says :

We started processing your application on July 10, 2009.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

You entered Canada at the Windsor Ambassador Bridge office on July 19, 2010 and became a Permanent Resident.
Insightful
Nice post

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
AB2009IL said:
Hello All,

I completed my landing process last week on August 19 at Edmonton International Airport. It was an extremely pleasant experience.

The first CBSA officer greeted me, checked my passport and asked me to go to immigration office. I was the only person in line. Another CBSA officer called me and checked my documents, stamped my passport and asked me to sign COPR. No questions were asked. She simply welcomed me to Canada and talked about the weather. I asked her some questions about the cash I was carrying and about the goods to follow. After stamping my passport she asked me to see the cashier. I went to the cashier at customs and showed the goods accompanying and goods to follow lists. I had two copies of each list. He stamped both and kept one copy and returned one to me. He also said, "welcome to Canada". It felt really very good.

Next day I went to Canada Place in downtown where all the govt. offices are located. Applied for SIN number and got it in 5 mins. That lady also welcomed me to Canada. Then went to Alberta Health Services in Scotia Place and applied for Alberta Health Care Insurance and also for Provincial ID. Got those two numbers in 30 mins. All respective cards except PR card should be arriving in 2 weeks at my mailing address in Canada. I was surprised by the speed at which all this happened. I also opened a bank account the same day. It was a very nice experience as well.

If any one of you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I will be glad to help you.
Nice
Informative

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
baraynawab said:
Hello Friends,

I landed in Canada through Detroit Ambassador bridge.

One of the immigration officer called us and asked us some questions:

IO: What brings you to Canada?
ME: I am landing here today as a part of the immigration process

IO: Are you moving in to Canada today ?
ME: We are here to complete the landing formalities and are travelling back to the US immediately. I have my job until end of November and I intend to move to Canada permanently after that.

The immigration officer started asking some regular Qs about goods to follow and We were asked to wait. After waiting for 20 minutes, the immigration officer called us again.

IO: Please sign these COPR forms without touching the green border.
ME: -- Signed the forms --

She tore off one of the pages in the COPR form and stapled it to our passports and put a seal with the landing date.

IO: Your landing has been completed and the proof for the same is attached to your passport.

The immigration officer informed me that since I'm not moving in I cannot apply for PR Card and asked me to apply for PR card when I live in Canada and she also told me that with the landing paper attached to the passport we can't travel to canada through air but only by road.so I asked what my options are if i am flying from india to canada she said you can get a travel document from embassy in delhi and travel with that.

ME: I didn't know what to say now.

IO: Do you have any questions for me? Hand over this slip to the security officer outside.
A: No Thank you so much for your help.

Handed over the slip and the security officer released the vehicle keys to us.

Made a U-turn and started traveling into the US and successfully used AVR. But, they made an entry on our passports.

What's my option to apply for PR Card now ? any suggestion ? help?

Thanks

Today I checked the ECas status and it says :

We started processing your application on July 10, 2009.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

You entered Canada at the Windsor Ambassador Bridge office on July 19, 2010 and became a Permanent Resident.
Thanx for the information

windoski

Jun 13, 2013
hsetin said:
Posting it again as requested -
Alright Folks,
Here is a quick post about my Landing experience this weekend- AINP Candidate Landing in Canada through Buffalo.
Feel free to shoot some questions, I will respond in a day or two.
I drove to Buffalo and stayed overnight and presented myself in my car and some luggage next morning at the border.

At Canadian Border Checkpoint , the Officer asks the purpose of my visit and I tell him that I am immigrating today, He welcomes me in gruffy loud voice - Welcome to be greatest country in the world.
He enters some information on a yellow card and returns my passport with the card and I am asked to pull over at one of the spots and go and present my papers and this card in the office.

No one in queue for Immigration, The lady officer reading a Stephen king Novel, quickly takes a look at my papers and again asks me the purpose of visit and explains me the residency requirement of staying there 3 out of 5 consecutive years, or else I will loose my residency, she asks me if I am staying in Toronto, I explain her that I am entering in Toronto as this is closest to where I live and I intend to later move to Alberta and therefore I have an Alberta address of a friend. She asks me the address where PR card should be sent and I give her my Calgary address. And At the end of discussion, I told her that if I will be going back to US, and that I have to bring more stuff from there and I might drive or fly with my goods. She said that I can come and go as I please, and there will be no problem, but I can not take a commercial airliner, unless I have my PR card and that it would take between 2-4 weeks. No more questions on that.

She asks for my medical form (It was mentioned on my COPR, I have a medical condition and would need to see the doctor when I move there, later I realize that she forgot to return it back to me, and I have to call CIC to know how to get it back or if I need it at all)

She asks me if I had applied for Green Card in US , and I tell her that I have not. She asks about my job situation, and when I am planning to move and I tell her that I am looking for jobs, and had no luck so far and I intend to move in a few weeks.
She asks about my intention to import car, and explains the paper work needed, and inquires about the cash I am carrying, notates all this information, She also explains me a few other formalities, and asks me to take my car title to the lady on the other counted who would enter my list of goods and vehicle import information. Folks you can not sell a car in less than a year without paying the import duty. So only bring a car if you intend to use it for a long time, and also the automobile should be bought more than 6 months before you move. Also as you might have already read on the forum, the auto insurance rates are pretty high and in some cases even more than double of US rates, even for a good driving record.

However the same car will have additional 10-12 % interest if you buy in Canada (Not super sure, please check this information).

The next lady officer takes about 15 minutes for the list of goods to be certified / copied and also fills in some additional forms for CAr Import. All done in about 30 minutes and I walk out of the door and start driving to Toronto.
I go to get the SIN number after my first cup of Tim Horton's, and I get it all done in less than 15 minutes, again no queue. I think early morning is the best time to get all these things done.

Next Stop my local hotel reservation in downtown Toronto, Lunch (some thai food) and than I head to Royal Bank of Canada. RBC Ontario is not same as RBC Alberta and therefore I had a pretty tough time explaining RBS staff that although my temporary SIN card and Landing papers say that the address is Calgary, I still want to get a bank account in Ontario, to start a credit history and to get a temporary debit card.
I would recommend you guys to go to TD bank as they also have branches in US, and I think they are offering zero monthly fee for new accounts by "newcomers".

Couple of observations (may be biased or incorrect, or specific to downtown Toronto only)-

Cons-
 Almost everything was 10- 20% more expensive -postage, cab, gas, parking, cable, my favorites subway and Pizzahut too Sad
 A few parts of Toronto can use some serious trash collection, and graffiti removal (like southeast DC).

Pros -
 Cultural diversity is pretty amazing, even more than DC.
 People are undoubtedly more courteous and helpful , and nice. From customs to customer care , and everywhere, even strangers.
 This weekend was a special weekend for Toronto, there was an all night cultural festival, the entire downtown was lit and the place was very happening, I can definitely live in this kind of atmosphere.
 Infrastructure is good with Trams and Buses used by all demographics and so many people use bicycles in downtown, even as late as as 10 PM at night, and not for exercising but for going to work, and even visiting each other, just like Amsterdam and other European cities, (although I did not see 3 people riding the same bicycle,so a little different from europe may be).
 Very Safe neighborhoods (to the best of my knowledge)

Overall a very good experience and to top it off with a visit to Niagara Falls made it an awesome trip. Now its time to find a job in Alberta and make my final moving arrangements.

Ell.Bee said:
Hi,

I am starting this thread for the convinience of those who are preparing for the landing shortly. Please follow this thread for landing related.

Thanks,
L.B
Nice story..... very informative

nik1754

Jan 10, 2014
What is the Format of Expiration Date on Canadian Visa my date 03/11/2014, does this means Nov 3 2014 or March 11 2014?