+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - H1B Processing - please guide

kalaimani

Jun 19, 2009
Hello,
I am working in US on H1B VISA(valid till 2011) and would like to apply for canadian PR through AINP. I have following questions

1. Applying by own or through any consultant - which one is good
2. What is the total processing time to get the PR?
3. Do I need to be in US till the whole process gets completed?

Please reply

divagirl

Jan 8, 2009
kalaimani said:
1. Applying by own or through any consultant - which one is good No difference. You could save some money if you apply by yourself.
2. What is the total processing time to get the PR? As of now they say 8 months, but only god knows.
3. Do I need to be in US till the whole process gets completed? Yes.

hotchick19

Jun 13, 2009
divagirl said:
kalaimani said:
1. Applying by own or through any consultant - which one is good No difference. You could save some money if you apply by yourself.
2. What is the total processing time to get the PR? As of now they say 8 months, but only god knows.

I don't understand why AINP is taking too much time to process around 3000+ applications? It should be processed within 3-4 weeks.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Well even if they can process that many applicants.....they cannot nominate more than 2000 applicants a year. That is the yearly limit including the family stream, engineering occupation, employer driven , US Stream .....

qwerty1981

Apr 7, 2009
divagirl said:
kalaimani said:

I think you need to be in valid H1 untill the end of the PR process.
It does not mandate one to be within USA though .
One may be in H1 employed by US employer...working in some other country for some time.
Please correct me .....

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
you have to be on H1B until they give u nomination. not until u get PR.

If they give u nomination and then u get laidoff , u can start processing in home country after informing AINP guys..

chow

Sep 23, 2008
kalaimani said:
Hello,
I am working in US on H1B VISA(valid till 2011) and would like to apply for canadian PR through AINP. I have following questions

Please reply
First, what's your job title in your LCA?

kalaimani

Jun 19, 2009
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your answers..
I have one more question..

Canmy husband work in US after obtaining a PR? or do he need to have canadian citizenship to work in US?
How about the job oppurtunities. My husband is having 6+ yrs of (management and technical)experience in IT .

CometoAlberta

Mar 24, 2009
Canada PR can't help you have work permit in U.S , but Canada citizen can apply U.S TN visa which will be easier than H1B.

Canada is not a good place for IT related job. if you can't find a job with IT background in U.S , usually it will be more tough when you are in Canada. Canada is a "recourse-selling" country. Jobs related to oil, wood, leather,etc are more popular. U.S has more job opportunities in IT and other technologies, however their immigration system is too too too too bad.

kalaimani said:
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your answers..
I have one more question..

Canmy husband work in US after obtaining a PR? or do he need to have canadian citizenship to work in US?
How about the job oppurtunities. My husband is having 6+ yrs of (management and technical)experience in IT .

CometoAlberta

Mar 24, 2009
as to your questions

1. no need to find any consultant, the process is easy, you just spend 2 hours then you understand everything. and you can control the speed of filling.

2. official website says 8 months( 4+4), but it's obviously that this time will be changed in the future. because there are more than 3000+ applicants now, and usually the nominations should have some limit. people who file cases recently may need wait at least 2 yrs to finally get PR.

3. You have be valid in H1B till you get nomination. in another word, you have to at least be on your position till July 2010 with your H1B status. (assume you get nomination after one year, not sure yet since too many cases are there)

kalaimani said:
Hello,

Please reply

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
CometoAlberta said:
Canada is not a good place for IT related job.
Actually Canada is not a good place for any educated person. Engineers, IT, doctors etc. Only a few gets thru the system. I am just trying my luck myself if I become one of those very few -If it doesnt work out, I'll just move back to my country. Not discouraging you but telling the truth.

It is country where taxi driving, truck driving, dish washing, restaurant cook, mechanics, janitors, clerks, etc are the main jobs. Go to monster.ca and search for job in your field. Select option for jobs posted in last 1 month. This will give u idea how many jobs are there in your field.

I am mechanical engineer and found that there are about 80 jobs posted every month in THE WHOLE COUNTRY. If i count other websites, the number might go liberally up to 150 or 170. On top of that more than half of them need Professional Engineering registration which is very difficult to get for foreign graduates. Pretty bleak numbers considering tens of 1000s mechanical engineers who immigrate or graduated from Canada itself.

You can figure things out for IT yourself.

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
09-07-2010; reached 23-07-2010
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
30-12-2010, dated-15-12-2010
I just want to add a point to MIke's comment

With this immigration drive Canada is building an army of tech ppl in their country. Once they have the human resource they can canvas US companies to move there for talent and cost saving.

With the present US condition this looks like a possibility.

aNewHope

Star Member
Feb 24, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mike:

I don't think things are that bleak. If tens of 1000's are graduating (just from Mech Engg no less) each year and there are only about 150 job openings, then the unemployment rate in Canada should be hovering around ~ 99%, which it clearly does not. You cannot compare the Canadian job market to the US job market (in fact you could hardly compare any job market in the world to the US job market). Canada has, roughly, 10% - 15% of the population of the US and its economy is proportionately smaller. If you are a good engineer I am sure you will have no trouble starting your own engg firm in Canada (on the bright side you can hire from tens of 1000's of graduates who are looking for jobs).

On top of a much smaller economy, Canada is not immune from the world-wide economic downturn. Compared to earlier years the number of jobs available in the US are a fraction of what was available. As with everything you got to have the right perspective.

At the end of the day a smart person with decent education and good communication skills should be able to prosper anywhere.

I am sorry, I do not mean to be offensive by any means, and this is definitely not a personal attack, but I find the comment "Canada is not a good place for any educated person" utterly laughable and extremely short-sighted. This is not Zimbabwe we are talking about, rather a country to which folks from the western world (UK, Sweden to name a few and Australia) are trying to immigrate to, presumably these are all educated people who expect to find better prospects in Canada.

To reiterate my earlier point the odds of a smart, educated person with good communication skills succeeding in Canada are fairly high, the lack of any of the above three will be a hindrance no matter where a person goes!

Cheers,

Mike053 said:
CometoAlberta said:
Canada is not a good place for IT related job.
Actually Canada is not a good place for any educated person. Engineers, IT, doctors etc. Only a few gets thru the system. I am just trying my luck myself if I become one of those very few -If it doesnt work out, I'll just move back to my country. Not discouraging you but telling the truth.

It is country where taxi driving, truck driving, dish washing, restaurant cook, mechanics, janitors, clerks, etc are the main jobs. Go to monster.ca and search for job in your field. Select option for jobs posted in last 1 month. This will give u idea how many jobs are there in your field.

I am mechanical engineer and found that there are about 80 jobs posted every month in THE WHOLE COUNTRY. If i count other websites, the number might go liberally up to 150 or 170. On top of that more than half of them need Professional Engineering registration which is very difficult to get for foreign graduates. Pretty bleak numbers considering tens of 1000s mechanical engineers who immigrate or graduated from Canada itself.

You can figure things out for IT yourself.