+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Aged 36 and applying for graduate certificate prog

Bojangles

Aug 19, 2019
I lived in the US for 14yrs. Married in 2019 before departure and h4 visa applications were denied visa twice. In the time, I've been in my home country, I've been working for our family business.
I've recently been admitted in a graduate cert prog in a field closely related to my BSc (grad 2015).
I'm a bit concerned my age might be a factor. Also, explaining away reasons I'm still in my home country and wife in the US has be of concern to me.
Also, I have most of my finances in US (joint account with my wife) which I plan to use as proof of funds. Would this be a concern?

Furthermore, I and my wife (no kids btw) applied are in the EE pool.

Should I be concerned that my student visa will be denied?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I lived in the US for 14yrs. Married in 2019 before departure and attempts denied h4 us visa twice. In the time, I've been in my home country, I've been working for our family business.
Now, I recently been admitted in a graduate cert prog in a field closely related to my BSc (grad 2015).
I'm a bit concerned my age might be a factor. Also, explaining away reasons I'm still in my home country and wife still in the US has be concerned.
Also, Most of my finances are in US (joint account with my wife) which I plan to use as proof of funds. Would this be a concern?

Also, I and my wife (no kids btw) applied are in the EE pool.

What was your status in the U.S. before you left and how long ago did you leave? Did you ever have period of overstay in the U.S.?

Is your spouse American?

Bojangles

Aug 19, 2019
What was your status in the U.S. before you left and how long ago did you leave? Did you ever have period of overstay in the U.S.?

Is your spouse American?
I was on f1. I had legal residence through out my 14yrs stay and overstayed by only 30 days. I left July 2019. Wife is currently on H1B (non American).

Shazd85

Oct 28, 2019
I was on f1. I had legal residence through out my 14yrs stay and overstayed by only 30 days. I left July 2019. Wife is currently on H1B (non American).
I am in similar situation as your, lived in usa for 17 years, left in end of 2018. Left while status was legal. Graduated in 2015 in states. I am 34 and going for PGD and application is pending , waiting for final decision. I was interviewed on Feb 12th and for 45 minutes they only concerned about my USA history and didnt ask about anything else. Lets see what they decide on my application.
Dont worry just apply.

Bojangles

Aug 19, 2019
For finances, I currently share a joint account with my wife who is in the US. The statement will show that for the last few months, it's primarily source has been deposit from her employment.

Is it advisable to say I will self sponsor using our joint account? Or should I have my wife be my sponsor?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I lived in the US for 14yrs. Married in 2019 before departure and h4 visa applications were denied visa twice. In the time, I've been in my home country, I've been working for our family business.
I've recently been admitted in a graduate cert prog in a field closely related to my BSc (grad 2015).
I'm a bit concerned my age might be a factor. Also, explaining away reasons I'm still in my home country and wife in the US has be of concern to me.
Also, I have most of my finances in US (joint account with my wife) which I plan to use as proof of funds. Would this be a concern?

Furthermore, I and my wife (no kids btw) applied are in the EE pool.

A lot depends on which institute you get accepted into. If accepted into a good institute such as those designated as DLIs, then the process should be a lot more straightforward, harder otherwise.

As long as you are convincing in your application that studying is your main aim in Canada, then age shouldn't be too much of an issue which is where admission into a DLI helps a lot. Also the fact that you can afford your education helps your case.