+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

age matters

qais1975

Dec 5, 2014
Hi,
I'd like to apply for immigration to Canada. The problem is 'm 45 years. I have over 18 years' experience as an English-Arabic translator in different fields. Currently, I work as an audit translator for one of the big four. I also speak French. I have a family of two (my wife and my 8-year-old son).

I don't know if I still stand any chance to apply for immigration to Canada. I was told that 35 years old is the threshold. Is that true?

Can you please guide me to the right direction? If there's a chance, which programs I should apply to?

I really appreciate your guidance and help.

Qais

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I'd like to apply for immigration to Canada. The problem is 'm 45 years. I have over 18 years' experience as an English-Arabic translator in different fields. Currently, I work as an audit translator for one of the big four. I also speak French. I have a family of two (my wife and my 8-year-old son).

I don't know if I still stand any chance to apply for immigration to Canada. I was told that 35 years old is the threshold. Is that true?

Can you please guide me to the right direction? If there's a chance, which programs I should apply to?

I really appreciate your guidance and help.

Qais
35 is not a hard threshold. You can certainly still apply. It's just going to be much harder to qualify based on your age.

I would recommend that you start by exploring the Express Entry program. This is a points-based program and those with the most points are selected. Right now you need to have 470+ points to be chosen. Recommend you start by calculating how many points you have to determine your chances of being selected through this program. Information below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Attention, age points can be also damaging for option to enter EE itself (FSW points).
1. Does your wife speak English or French
2. How good is your French
3. What is your education - how many and what type -(Bachelor, Master, PHD) of university diplomas do you have

qais1975

Dec 5, 2014
Here are the answers:
1. Does your wife speak English or French
She's intermediate in English.

2. How good is your French
I'm advanced level in French. I can score B2 in TEF.

3. What is your education - how many and what type -(Bachelor, Master, PHD) of university diplomas do you have
I have a BA in Translation (1996-2000)

I have also an MA in International Policy Studies from the Monterey Institute of International Studies in California with emphasis on conflict resolution and international negotiations. However, I don't have experience in this field. Most of my experience is in translation, admin assistance and content development (english and arabic).

Would the above make any difference? Would it improve the scores?

Thanks for your help.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You can still claim points for your MA even without relevant work experience. As long as you completed it that's all it takes. But it's only a few points at best.

If your wife has recent skilled work experience for at least 1 continuous year and she is younger, she could be the primary applicant.

qais1975

Dec 5, 2014
Unfortunately, she doesn't. She has a one-year experience as a kindergarten teacher but she's been jobless for the last three years. She's currently doing her second year master in kindergarten curriculum design. She still has two years to complete the degree. She's 33 years old.

I just have two more question, please.

What about the rural and northern immigration programs and province nomination programs? Do I stand any chance? I read that the age threshold is 55 years old, i'm not sure, though.

Do you advise me to go ahead and take my chances or just forget about it because the chances are slim?

Thanks for your time and help.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Express Entry seems like an outside shot because of your age. You may have to be creative with provincial nomination programs or francophone programs. (E.g Quebec or New Brunswick or even PEI.)

Note that new immigration programs do pop up every now and then, so the current slate of programs may not be indicative of what may be available for you. The trouble is there is this pandemic that’s ravaging the econony, so it’s hard to predict how immigration policies will change.