+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After the confirmation of PR how long we have before entering canada

Sansglee

Star Member
May 17, 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for your time and help.

I am currently preparing the documents for the spousal sponsorship application. Any body know, if there is a time limit that you have to enter Canada once you get the confirmation of permanent residence. My fiancee is in Australia, doing her final Year in university. So Is there a timeline or anything that we should enter Canada before certain date once you get confirmation of Permanent Residence.

for example if the PR arrives before the completion of university, she may not be able to come here.

Also can i apply now although she is doing final year at a university, Will it cause a conflict at any point in the application.

As per the CIC website, the processing time for Sydney application is 11 months. or should i start the application when there is like 10 months before her graduation ?

Please help. Thanks

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Sansglee said:
Hi there,

Thanks for your time and help.

I am currently preparing the documents for the spousal sponsorship application. Any body know, if there is a time limit that you have to enter Canada once you get the confirmation of permanent residence. My fiancee is in Australia, doing her final Year in university. So Is there a timeline or anything that we should enter Canada before certain date once you get confirmation of Permanent Residence.

for example if the PR arrives before the completion of university, she may not be able to come here.

Also can i apply now although she is doing final year at a university, Will it cause a conflict at any point in the application.

As per the CIC website, the processing time for Sydney application is 11 months. or should i start the application when there is like 10 months before her graduation ?

Please help. Thanks
The CIC's website states that 80% of all applications are done within x months.
If is a straightforward application, it'll be done much faster than 11 months.
You can follow a thread of your VO and/or looking for the spreadsheets.

And the time after the CoPR is granted to enter in Canada, is attached to the medical examination and it has validity of a year.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My COPR is expired same year my passport would be expire. ( it was 2017)

Sansglee

Star Member
May 17, 2013
floomy said:
My COPR is expired same year my passport would be expire. ( it was 2017)
Is it PR card, you are talking about or is it COPR. I thought PR Card is the one expires the same year as your passport. i was trying to find how much time do have once we get the letter you can cross the border to get the PR.

Sansglee

Star Member
May 17, 2013
DanSlh said:
The CIC's website states that 80% of all applications are done within x months.
If is a straightforward application, it'll be done much faster than 11 months.
You can follow a thread of your VO and/or looking for the spreadsheets.

And the time after the CoPR is granted to enter in Canada, is attached to the medical examination and it has validity of a year.
So do i have to medical exam after the PR ? I thought we have to do medical exam before they issue the PR.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Sansglee said:
So do i have to medical exam after the PR ? I thought we have to do medical exam before they issue the PR.
You are correct, you do the medical exam and it's submitted with your application. The exam is good for one year from the date it's completed, and most times the COPR is tied to the expiration date of the exam. So say you take your exam today - the exam would expire a year from today, so you can pretty much assume you would need to land a year from today, assuming everything is approved within that time frame. If for some reason things are moving more slowly, CIC has the option of extending the expiration date of the exam, but I would never assume that is going to happen. That's why it's best to get your exam done as close to the time you are applying as possible.

I'm actually sweating out the need to do a new medical exam...as you can see from my timeline, I did my exam last November, but because of a couple of other reasons, we didn't get our application in until March...while I am in process, I'm not approved yet and could potentially have a very quick turnaround time from approval to land if my medicals aren't extended.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sansglee said:
Is it PR card, you are talking about or is it COPR. I thought PR Card is the one expires the same year as your passport. i was trying to find how much time do have once we get the letter you can cross the border to get the PR.
COPR (paper you received from your VO after DM)is expired in 2017(same as my passport)
My PR card(actual card )expire in 2020.

p.s maybe it is different from VO (mine is Manila), but some applicants (also Manila vo) received COPR expired same year as their passport expired.