+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After receiving the COPR what am I exactly?

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
So they finally asked me to ship passport's photocopies (non-visa country of origin) and photographs.
I did that.

Say I receive the COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence), and my re-enter Canada/land flight date is December 30th.

Say I must apply to a university by December 15th.

So, what am I exactly????

Should I apply as international student (because I will have not landed/re-entered Canada yet), or will I be already allowed to apply as permanent resident?

Thanks.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You should contact your university's admissions office and ask. They may ask you to apply as an international student, with the understanding that your status will change to a PR shortly thereafter. Or perhaps they'll give you an extended deadline. I don't think you can apply as a PR without a SIN number, but who knows, ask them and see.

It's no different than doing a year as an international student and then becoming a PR - your university administration will have a process to handle this kind of status change as well.

Reactions: Milo2980

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
And technically you're not a PR till you have landed, as far as I know. You need to land for your PR to be activated. I landed on the 29th of June, and my PR card says "PR Since: 29 June" on the back.

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
And technically you're not a PR till you have landed, as far as I know. You need to land for your PR to be activated. I landed on the 29th of June, and my PR card says "PR Since: 29 June" on the back.
You should contact your university's admissions office and ask. They may ask you to apply as an international student, with the understanding that your status will change to a PR shortly thereafter. Or perhaps they'll give you an extended deadline. I don't think you can apply as a PR without a SIN number, but who knows, ask them and see.

It's no different than doing a year as an international student and then becoming a PR - your university administration will have a process to handle this kind of status change as well.
Thanks so much guys.

Actually, the university is asking me to state what I am! it's a gray area they don't know about.

Goose, what you say makes sense. However, there is another point:
Once one receives the confirmation of permanent residence, let's assume he re-enters Canada and, instead of showing that confirmation, he still pulls out his post-grad work permit. They won't allow him in I think, because the work permit has been voided by the PR application.

I don't believe the government turns you into an illegal immigrant, so, If the work permit is not valid anymore, your status mush have changed somehow. If it changed, you must be a permanent resident already, because you're neither a student, nor a citizen, nor a visitor.

What about this: could it be considered "implied status"?

Remember, for example, if you're on a study permit and you apply for a work permit? After you have applied, even before that your work permit application is processed, you can work full-time, because, having applied for the work permit, you're under implied status as worker.

What if something similar happens here: once you receive COPR you're a PR under implied status?

Thanks.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
No such thing as PR under implied status.
You are not a PR until you land. Until then you status in Canada remain the same, a temp resident with student/work permit

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So they finally asked me to ship passport's photocopies (non-visa country of origin) and photographs. I did that.

Say I receive the COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence), and my re-enter Canada/land flight date is December 30th.

Say I must apply to a university by December 15th.

So, what am I exactly????

Should I apply as international student (because I will have not landed/re-entered Canada yet), or will I be already allowed to apply as permanent resident?

Until you have landed, you are not a permanent resident.

However, universities have an exemption for international fees if you have met the "approval in principle" stage of a PR application.

See for example, U of Toronto:
http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Page1013.aspx
"students who are (or who are dependents of) persons who have applied for permanent resident status may qualify for exemption if they have met all the preliminary immigration requirements for permanent resident status (i.e. have received preliminary/provisional acceptance/approval, or approval-in-principle). "

But beyond this, if you will land as a PR before the start of the semester, you should include that information with your application. You can and should ask the university for their guidance.

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Until you have landed, you are not a permanent resident.

However, universities have an exemption for international fees if you have met the "approval in principle" stage of a PR application.

See for example, U of Toronto:
http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Page1013.aspx
"students who are (or who are dependents of) persons who have applied for permanent resident status may qualify for exemption if they have met all the preliminary immigration requirements for permanent resident status (i.e. have received preliminary/provisional acceptance/approval, or approval-in-principle). "

But beyond this, if you will land as a PR before the start of the semester, you should include that information with your application. You can and should ask the university for their guidance.
Wow! this is exactly the example I needed, thanks jes_ON!