+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After receiving Permanent Residency stamp

RelocateDream

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
Does anyone know how it works after you get the permanent residency stamp? Do you need to get to Canada immediately or is it ok if I get there a few weeks/months later (after wrapping things up in the US)?
Just wondering and trying to plan ahead...Thanks!

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
you have to at least confirm PR before the visa expiry. Folks call this as a soft landing. You could just pick a weekend for soft landing and then plan on your complete move. Keep in mind the visa is single entry, and if you are planning on soft landing, you will have to use a private car to reenter canada from US or apply for PRTD from US (this could take months). With a PRTD, you can fly as well.

RelocateDream

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
you have to at least confirm PR before the visa expiry. Folks call this as a soft landing. You could just pick a weekend for soft landing and then plan on your complete move. Keep in mind the visa is single entry, and if you are planning on soft landing, you will have to use a private car to reenter canada from US or apply for PRTD from US (this could take months). With a PRTD, you can fly as well.
Thanks for your reply!

To clarify, what visa is this? Are you referring to US work visa or Canada visa? By the way, I have a tourist visa (multiple entry) for Canada. Could I use tourist visa to initially enter Canada for soft landing, and then when I'm completely ready, use my Canada PR to make the final move? Or do I need to apply for a specific Canada visa for this purpose?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for your reply!

To clarify, what visa is this? Are you referring to US work visa or Canada visa? By the way, I have a tourist visa (multiple entry) for Canada. Could I use tourist visa to initially enter Canada for soft landing, and then when I'm completely ready, use my Canada PR to make the final move? Or do I need to apply for a specific Canada visa for this purpose?
Samoinp talks about Canada visa. You cant use the visitor visa for soft landing. Soft landing is nothing but gaining your PR status hence you need to use your PR visa(one time entry validity).

For the next time onwards to enter Canada, use the PR card/PRTD or enter via road.

Reactions: Samoinp

RelocateDream

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
Samoinp talks about Canada visa. You cant use the visitor visa for soft landing. Soft landing is nothing but gaining your PR status hence you need to use your PR visa(one time entry validity).

For the next time onwards to enter Canada, use the PR card/PRTD or enter via road.
Oh, ok, got it! By the way, within many months of getting my PR can I do my soft and/or final landing? For e.g., if I get it in Feb., can I wait until July to go?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for your reply!

When your Canada PR is approved you will get two things. One is a confirmation of PR document (COPR) and secondly an IM1 Visa (stamp) in your passport. This IM1 Visa is a single entry visa. You must enter Canada as a permanent resident before this visa expires. It will expire 1 year after your medical exam date. This entry as PR is called as landing. After you land, if you leave within a short period planning to return permanently later, then it is called as soft landing. After initial landing, you have 3 years to make the permanent move (because you need to maintain residency of 2 years within any 5 year period).

RelocateDream

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
When your Canada PR is approved you will get two things. One is a confirmation of PR document (COPR) and secondly an IM1 Visa (stamp) in your passport. This IM1 Visa is a single entry visa. You must enter Canada as a permanent resident before this visa expires. It will expire 1 year after your medical exam date. This entry as PR is called as landing. After you land, if you leave within a short period planning to return permanently later, then it is called as soft landing. After initial landing, you have 3 years to make the permanent move (because you need to maintain residency of 2 years within any 5 year period).
Ok! Thanks for clarifying - this makes me feel much better about planning my move! Thanks, everyone.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Ok! Thanks for clarifying - this makes me feel much better about planning my move! Thanks, everyone.
BTW, if you do leave a gap of 7 or more days between soft landing and final move, you could import new goods worth 800 without any import tax (on your final move). Make sure to bring your follow up goods for your initial landing. Customs check it at your soft landing, this is used for your final move (with all goods).

I used this 800 exemption to buy electronic goods that weren't going to be released in Canada soon.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
BTW, if you do leave a gap of 7 or more days between soft landing and final move, you could import new goods worth 800 without any import tax (on your final move). Make sure to bring your follow up goods for your initial landing. Customs check it at your soft landing, this is used for your final move (with all goods).

I used this 800 exemption to buy electronic goods that weren't going to be released in Canada soon.
I think if one lands without the intention of settling, they get classified as 'visitor' as opposed to settler which implies that they could take anything that they want in addition to the things mentioned in GTF when moving later. Might work if one is moving quite later after soft landing

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I think if one lands without the intention of settling, they get classified as 'visitor' as opposed to settler which implies that they could take anything that they want in addition to the things mentioned in GTF when moving later. Might work if one is moving quite later after soft landing
Yeah, soft landing changes visitor to resident and then all resident laws are applicable. Anyways, keep an eye on the custom forms that you get at soft landing. It should give you the updated limits.