+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After receiving my PR Card what else do I have to do? SIN, Healthcare, anything else?

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Hi,

Just received my PR Card and wanted to check if I was missing anything I was supposed to do. I believe I've to get my Healthcare card at a Service Canada with the completed form, proof, and ID. The same with the SIN Number.

Was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing now that I'm a Permanent Resident? That I might have forgotten about?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Just received my PR Card and wanted to check if I was missing anything I was supposed to do. I believe I've to get my Healthcare card at a Service Canada with the completed form, proof, and ID. The same with the SIN Number.

Was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing now that I'm a Permanent Resident? That I might have forgotten about?

Thanks.
Are you remaining in Canada permanently or is this a short landing?

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
OK, had the health card, and SIN number on my list.

I'm trying to avoid the driving licence and hold on to my UK license instead if possible. I believe I need to leave the country once a year to achieve this.

As long as there's nothing else I think I'm all set. Until I have to begin my citizen application process in the future.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
OK, had the health card, and SIN number on my list.

I'm trying to avoid the driving licence and hold on to my UK license instead if possible. I believe I need to leave the country once a year to achieve this.

As long as there's nothing else I think I'm all set. Until I have to begin my citizen application process in the future.
Which province are you settling in? I do not think you can use a foreign drivers licence to drive for a long period of time if you are a resident.

e.g. This is for BC:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/roadsafetybc/high-risk/without-valid-dl#:~:text=If you are a foreign,police you're a student.

New residents
If you hold a valid driver's licence from outside B.C., you can continue to use it for 90 days. After 90 days, your out-of-province licence is not valid in B.C.

It's best to apply for a B.C. licence as soon as you move here. If you have a valid licence from elsewhere, you must produce it when police ask or they’ll give you a Notice of Driving Prohibition.

If you produce a valid licence, police will allow you to continue unless they have evidence you should hold a B.C. licence.

Reactions: canuck78

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Oh damn. Will need to Google this. I'm in Alberta.

It seems the UK allow you to have two driving licenses whereas Canada seem to want you to give up your home country's licence.

Hopefully Alberta allow the year, I know that was the case when I was on the temporary resident visitor status.

I've not been able to drive for the last 1.5 years awaiting the conclusion of the PR application. A very frustrating situation which makes no sense.

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Seems like you're right, it appears now that I've become a permanent resident I need to give up my UK driving licence within 90 days. I don't seem to have the leave once a year option.

That's annoying. Was hoping to hold onto my UK license.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As noted, driver's license. Note the healthcare is provincial.

I don't know if there's anything much alberta can do if you get a replacement UK driver's license (not that you should).

If your'e in alberta and from scotland, learn to curl.

If you don't already, of course.

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
As noted, driver's license. Note the healthcare is provincial.

I don't know if there's anything much alberta can do if you get a replacement UK driver's license (not that you should).

If your'e in alberta and from scotland, learn to curl.

If you don't already, of course.
I was actually wondering what the situation would be if I said I'd 'lost' it. Applying for another is kind of the same thing. I'll research further, would like to keep it if possible, but naturally don't want to do anything too dodgy to achieve that.

My partner actually taught kids curling in the local sports centre. I've yet to give it a go, but I'll still be better than any Canadian :)

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
As @armoured noted, it's not like Alberta will be able to do much if you get a replacement card. I'm certainly getting a replacement card from my home country on my next trip. As long as you don't carry it on you while driving in Canada, and you don't actually use it in Canada for ID purposes, you should be fine.

Reactions: armoured

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
As @armoured noted, it's not like Alberta will be able to do much if you get a replacement card. I'm certainly getting a replacement card from my home country on my next trip. As long as you don't carry it on you while driving in Canada, and you don't actually use it in Canada for ID purposes, you should be fine.
Yeah, that was my thinking. I'll research it further, and maybe go down that road.

Don't excuse the pun, I meant it. :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
... and you don't actually use it in Canada for ID purposes, you should be fine.
Very good point - I'd double-underline, especially using it for driving in Canada - i.e. to show a policeman to avoid a fine going on local license - could get you in a LOT of trouble. In fact possibly in USA too - speculating - since some provinces and states share infraction info.

I don't know the history or logic of this whole can't-have-two-licenses thing - I strongly suspect that it is all about this issue, preventing individuals from hiding this way, both for infractions and insurance and possibly worse since driver's licenses were the main identification for so many in north america. Probably seems quaint in the age of computers and databases and internet but it's only a couple generations ago jumping jurisidictions meant you could pretty much start over (in north america), and a generation earlier, changing parishes might have been enough.

Reactions: DimT44

thestormtrooper

Oct 30, 2019
Very good point - I'd double-underline, especially using it for driving in Canada - i.e. to show a policeman to avoid a fine going on local license - could get you in a LOT of trouble. In fact possibly in USA too - speculating - since some provinces and states share infraction info.

I don't know the history or logic of this whole can't-have-two-licenses thing - I strongly suspect that it is all about this issue, preventing individuals from hiding this way, both for infractions and insurance and possibly worse since driver's licenses were the main identification for so many in north america. Probably seems quaint in the age of computers and databases and internet but it's only a couple generations ago jumping jurisidictions meant you could pretty much start over (in north america), and a generation earlier, changing parishes might have been enough.
Yeah, totally agree with all of the above. I'd be going with the approach of it being locked away and never used for anything at all in the opposing countries.

I'd imagine the reason is due to people dodging fines, but some countries seem to allow two licences and others don't. Everything for my Canadian driving would be totally linked to all my Canadian details.

The only issue I can think of is if Alberta driving send my licence to the UK and tell them to cancel it. I'm not sure if they do anything like that.