+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After obtaining citizenship, can a previous refugee return to their home country? Or renew their home country passport?

simple2000

Feb 19, 2019
I know many people got back to home country and no one questioned them (they were refugee claimants), it is confusing that they question some people while they don't for some!

Safeperson

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
I have been reading comments on here before i went back to home my country because i was a former refugee. I did not go to back to my home country until i got citizenship. I went home to visit my family and came back to Canada after 2 months. The immigration officer said i have to call IRRC and asked them to remove my former refugee status on file so i don’t have to go through immigration when i come back to Canada. Also immigration officer said it doesn’t matter for them anymore because i'm a Canadian citizen. No one can deny you to enter to your country as a Canadian citizen. Life experience.
Good day John.
I know this comment was a long time ago, but I wanted to ask if you did contact the IRRC and what did they say about the change of status. Thanks

Reactions: beni2023