+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After getting Canadian citizenship, can I work on h1b

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hello all,
I have my H1b and green card already filed.I am PR here and want to know if I get my Canadian citizenship can I work in usa on H1b visa or I will need to work on TN visa only ?
I am asking as on TN visa my wife can’t work in usa (unless specialize occupation).
Thank you in advance

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Canadian citizens can utilize both H1 or TN.
What if we already had active H1b and GC in process. We get canadian citizenship and want to enter using TN1 visa? Will my active H1b gets deactivated or I cannot no more get back to H1b once my GC gets current?

Reactions: Takita

justinline

May 19, 2009
What if we already had active H1b and GC in process. We get canadian citizenship and want to enter using TN1 visa? Will my active H1b gets deactivated or I cannot no more get back to H1b once my GC gets current?
If you want to get into the whole rigmarole of AOS and GC, prefer H1b over TN.
If your dates are current you can still get 1 year h1b extensions.
If you have active H1b, why you want to go for TN......just use that to enter.

Reactions: paneka penalty

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
If you want to get into the whole rigmarole of AOS and GC, prefer H1b over TN.
If your dates are current you can still get 1 year h1b extensions.
If you have active H1b, why you want to go for TN......just use that to enter.
I mean, i enter using TN next year while i already have valid H1b. And my GC dates gets current sometime in 2030. In this case what would be ideal?

justinline

May 19, 2009
I mean, i enter using TN next year while i already have valid H1b. And my GC dates gets current sometime in 2030. In this case what would be ideal?
If you have H1b.....why even bother about TN. As it is you dont need go for stamping with Canadian passport. If you have valid approved I797 most likely getting I94 is almost certain. TN is always harder to juggle with AOS and GC.

If you already have approved H1b I797 and still insist on using TN.....you can. When dates are about to get current, I would change from TN to H1b before filling AOS.

Reactions: swan0206