+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After Getting a PRTD approval...

Fifo

Dec 25, 2014
Hello All,

I applied for an PRTD and i got an Visa(Permanent Resident for 6 months) from Lebanon and i have some questions,
1.When i will arrive to Canada i will be treated as a Permanent Resident by receiving the PR card? And what i have to do when i the will be in Canada the first days?
2. I have to stay in Canada 3 years to reapply for a citizenship application or i cannot?
3. We applied all the family for a PRTD and i'm the youngest one(19 years old) and i give them an University acceptance with the PRTD application and i got only one in the family for the PRTD and my brothers and parents a refusal so they consider me an exception or what?

Your replies will be appreciated,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They consider that you were a minor when you were taken outside Canada by your parents and that you are now wanting to return to Canada, first chance, as a young adult.

When you arrive in Canada, you can apply for a PR card based on your travel document. You should preferably not leave Canada for 2 years because then you will meet the RO again. You will have to stay 4 years before you can apply for citizenship.

Fifo

Dec 25, 2014
Thank you leon for the help,

But i have two more questions, actually i arrived to Canada today so i have to apply now for a PR card only right?
2nd, If i have to go to Lebanon after 5 days i can or not since my mother will have a surgery?

Best Regards,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Fifo said:
. . . i have two more questions, actually i arrived to Canada today so i have to apply now for a PR card only right?
2nd, If i have to go to Lebanon after 5 days i can or not since my mother will have a surgery?
Fadisl said:
hello all,
Actually i get the PRTD from the embassy in Lebanon and i arrive to Canada today, but i want to know what is the next steps i have to do because i office at the airport don't told me a thing.(note that my PRTD type is R-1) so please what i have to do now?
And my second question, i have the permission to leave Canada for a certain days after 5-6 days since my mother will make a surgery?
Waiting for your help please,
Thank you
Depending on the validity dates for your PR Travel Document, you probably should have considered waiting to come to Canada until after the surgery, if it was important for you to be near your mother at the time of the surgery.

A lot of other aspects to your situation have bearing on what your status is and whether or not it is feasible for you to soon go abroad.

I suspect (but given how much is unknown this really is merely an impression) that it would be a bad idea to leave Canada anytime soon. Since your mother has other immediate family, it is unlikely that her surgery is a reason you would be given any further pass on failing to meet the PR Residency Obligation. It seems quite likely you will not be given another PR Travel Document to come to Canada. (But again, there is a lot of other aspects to your situation which can affect what your rights are, what you need to do or not do, and so on.)

If you have not been in Canada for at least 730 days within the immediately five years, an application for a PR card is likely to be denied . . . and you will have to wait until you have been in Canada for at least 730 days within five years before you can apply.

Fifo

Dec 25, 2014
Thank you for your reply,
If i'm not able to go and be beside my mother its not a problem because my brother will do this,
and according to the new PR, when i tell the CIC by a call my case they tell me after giving them the number of my PRTD that i have and then they tell me about my address to send me the PR card after 45 days from the calling so is there misunderstand me or what?(note that i'm the only one accepted in the family for a PRTD since i was a minor when i left Canada)and my PRTD type was R-1 and if they don't give me a PR card how can stay in Canada for 730 days with expired PRTD.
Thanks in advance,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Fifo said:
Thank you for your reply,
If i'm not able to go and be beside my mother its not a problem because my brother will do this,
and according to the new PR, when i tell the CIC by a call my case they tell me after giving them the number of my PRTD that i have and then they tell me about my address to send me the PR card after 45 days from the calling so is there misunderstand me or what?(note that i'm the only one accepted in the family for a PRTD since i was a minor when i left Canada)and my PRTD type was R-1 and if they don't give me a PR card how can stay in Canada for 730 days with expired PRTD.
Thanks in advance,
As I indicated, there are many aspects to these situations and I do not fully understand the position you are in or what your status is.

If the CBSA immigration officer at the POE indicated you will be mailed a PR card, that is probably what will happen. Whether or not that changes things relative to traveling outside Canada in the near future I do not know.

If you misunderstood and you were allowed to enter Canada as a PR but you will need to apply for a PR card, you probably should wait until you have been in Canada for 730 days before you make that application. A PR is a PR regardless of whether or not the PR has a currently valid PR card. That is, you do not need a currently valid PR card or a currently valid PR TD to stay in Canada as a PR.

PRs outside Canada are presumed to not have PR status if they do not possess a currently valid PR card. That is one of the main reasons for a PR to not travel abroad unless and until the PR has been issued a valid PR card. But as long as the PR remains in Canada, their status is OK.

Overall, though, again, there are often, if not usually, a range of other factors which determine what position you are in, so based on the little bit of information which can be shared in a forum like this, it is difficult to fully understand let alone explain all the possible angles to your situation.

I would note, though, that even if you are given a PR card soon, its validity dates do not dictate how the ongoing PR Residency Obligation applies to you. That is, you may be able to travel abroad but you will nonetheless have to stay in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Does the PRTD you received allow exit/entry privileges, or was it cancelled/voided/removed when you used it to enter Canada?

Since you have already been given a H&C reason once to overcome RO, it would be risky to assume CIC would do it a second time so quickly after. However that decision is really up to CIC.

Fifo

Dec 25, 2014
Thank you for reply,

On the PRTD there was written that its for one entry so what that changes?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PR TD is a document that is given to a PR to travel to Canada one time only and they should use this opportunity to apply to renew their PR card and put their PR status back in good standing by meeting the RO.

I don't think you understand what a chance you have been given. Are you serious about keeping your PR? If you are, you should really not leave Canada in the next 2 years. Having been given a chance like that does not excuse you from not meeting the RO in the future.

Lets say you renew your PR card and go on a short trip but on this trip, maybe your PR card is lost or stolen and you will be in the situation that you have to apply for a PR TD again. I can guarantee you that immigration will not be so understanding if you are applying for a PR TD again and still do not meet the RO. This is why you should stay for a full 2 years. Then you will meet the RO again and if something happens to your PR card while outside Canada, you can always get a PR TD in order to return.

This is not a time to be wishy washy. If you care about your PR status, you stay for 2 years without leaving, put your PR status back in good standing and make sure you meet the RO in the future.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
Leon said:
A PR TD is a document that is given to a PR to travel to Canada one time only and they should use this opportunity to apply to renew their PR card and put their PR status back in good standing by meeting the RO.

I don't think you understand what a chance you have been given. Are you serious about keeping your PR? If you are, you should really not leave Canada in the next 2 years. Having been given a chance like that does not excuse you from not meeting the RO in the future.

Lets say you renew your PR card and go on a short trip but on this trip, maybe your PR card is lost or stolen and you will be in the situation that you have to apply for a PR TD again. I can guarantee you that immigration will not be so understanding if you are applying for a PR TD again and still do not meet the RO. This is why you should stay for a full 2 years. Then you will meet the RO again and if something happens to your PR card while outside Canada, you can always get a PR TD in order to return.

This is not a time to be wishy washy. If you care about your PR status, you stay for 2 years without leaving, put your PR status back in good standing and make sure you meet the RO in the future.
+1 for that explanation Leon , but I honestly think that this guy is not to much into settle in ties in Canada , or maybe doesn't really understand the status he has .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Leon said:
I completely agree with Leon. If you want to keep your PR status - you need to remain in Canada without leaving for 2 years.

If you're not prepared to remain in Canada for 2 years, you should be prepared to lose your PR status.

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
Hi fifo
this is priya from india.
I read all your questions and m in the same situation need to know more regarding your case of prtd
Lemme explain my situation
I went to canada as pr in 2006 and i came back for some emergency that my grandmother was sick and was 13 years old at that time.
because of that i continued my studies in india
my pr got expired in 2011 ..and now i applied for prtd in 2015 ..my age is 22
recently canada immigration declared that a child of age 22 and less is considered as minor
my dad is a canadian citizen.

its been more than 40 days..and there is no response from vfs bangalore.

At what age you entered into canada and what was your age when you applied for prtd?

did you meet pr residency obligation?

from where did u apply for prtd?

hpw long does it took for processing your prtd?

so what do you say regarding my case that can i hope for prtd or no

what more you can suggest me

hope you reply me asap and help me to get out of this confusion

thank you and ill be waiting for the reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
priyabhee said:
Hi fifo
this is priya from india.
I read all your questions and m in the same situation need to know more regarding your case of prtd
Lemme explain my situation
I went to canada as pr in 2006 and i came back for some emergency that my grandmother was sick and was 13 years old at that time.
because of that i continued my studies in india
my pr got expired in 2011 ..and now i applied for prtd in 2015 ..my age is 22
recently canada immigration declared that a child of age 22 and less is considered as minor
my dad is a canadian citizen.

its been more than 40 days..and there is no response from vfs bangalore.

At what age you entered into canada and what was your age when you applied for prtd?

did you meet pr residency obligation?

from where did u apply for prtd?

hpw long does it took for processing your prtd?

so what do you say regarding my case that can i hope for prtd or no

what more you can suggest me

hope you reply me asap and help me to get out of this confusion

thank you and ill be waiting for the reply
Before August 2014, immigration considered people under 22 to be dependents who could be included on their parents applications as well as they considered people still financially dependent on their parents because of full time studies, even when 22 or older to be dependents. After August 2014, this is no longer the case. Dependent children to be sponsored or included on a parents application must now be under 19 and over-age students are no longer allowed either. You can find this rule change here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-06-23.asp

This has also changed how they process travel documents. It used to be pretty easy for a grown child in their early 20's to get a travel document based on "having been removed as a minor". However, recently we are seeing an increase in travel documents being denied for this group, especially in cases where the child only stayed in Canada for a very short time and therefore has no personal ties to Canada.

You would have had a better chance if you would have applied before the rule change in 2014 and even better if you had applied when you were 18. However, that ship has sailed so now you can only hope for the best that your travel document will be granted. If you are denied, you could appeal the decision. If you don't appeal or the appeal is denied, you would officially lose your PR and in that case, you would have to find another way to immigrate to Canada if you still want to.

There is also a rule stating that your PR is protected if you are a minor child accompanying a Canadian citizen parent outside Canada. However, that would now only be good for the time you were 19 and younger and so even if you had lived with your Canadian citizen father every day until the age of 19, it is now more than 3 years since you reached that age and hence you would not meet the residency obligation on those grounds either anymore.

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
whats your brother age who got rejected
brothers age right now and agw when he left canada?
please reply me its similar to my case