+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After Approval Question

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
Hi. We just got approval for my wife's immigration. Since there is a 3 month waiting period, at what point can we apply for Medicare and my wife's social insurance card etc? We already purchased a new home in Canada but only plan to move to Canada early summer.

Thanks
Steve

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The health coverage three month waiting period starts once your wife physically arrives in Canada as a permanent resident. She can apply for the health card soon after arriving in Canada - but it won't be issued until three months after she has arrived. You'll want to purchase private insurance to cover her in case of emergency for the first three months you are in Canada.

Your wife will be able to apply for a SIN once she has landed in Canada and officially become a PR. She can apply for this immediately after arriving.

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
The health coverage three month waiting period starts once your wife physically arrives in Canada as a permanent resident. She can apply for the health card soon after arriving in Canada - but it won't be issued until three months after she has arrived. You'll want to purchase private insurance to cover her in case of emergency for the first three months you are in Canada.

Your wife will be able to apply for a SIN once she has landed in Canada and officially become a PR. She can apply for this immediately after arriving.
Thanks. My understanding is that I will also have the same 3 month waiting period? Since we live in a US border town on the other side of Ontario does it make sense to do a soft landing now or should we wait until we are ready to move early summer? Not sure about process especially since we cross the border often. We have family in Canada and also own a house there now.

Steve

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. My understanding is that I will also have the same 3 month waiting period? Since we live in a US border town on the other side of Ontario does it make sense to do a soft landing now or should we wait until we are ready to move early summer? Not sure about process especially since we cross the border often. We have family in Canada and also own a house there now.

Steve
Whether you're subject to the 3 months or not will depend on how long you have been outside of Canada. It's really up to you if you do a soft landing or not. This won't change the 3 month waiting period. This count down won't start until you physically move to Canada.

The fact you have a house and family in Canada is irrelevant.