+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After 2nd Citizenship test

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
I had applied for my citizenship in Feb 2015, I got my 1st citizenship test in Sept 2015 which unfortunately i failed and than 2nd came in on Nov 2015 which I passed and now its been more than 2 months and still not got OATH ceremony. And when I checked with CIC they say since its not a normal application (coz i sat for 2nd citizenship test) it may take 36 months.
Anyone with any feed back or in similar situation .....
My PR is expiring in June 2016

Shortie

Oct 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2009
AOR Received.
28-09-2009
LANDED..........
03-06-2010
Your PR isn't expiring, just your card.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
YNSAFDARI said:
I had applied for my citizenship in Feb 2015, I got my 1st citizenship test in Sept 2015 which unfortunately i failed and than 2nd came in on Nov 2015 which I passed and now its been more than 2 months and still not got OATH ceremony. And when I checked with CIC they say since its not a normal application (coz i sat for 2nd citizenship test) it may take 36 months.

I know non-routine processing means, CIC takes 36 plus months to process. Most of the non-routine applications are assigned to the Citizenship Judges, that adds few more months and in many cases are rejected on some lame excuse. It is terrible and NOT worth.

If you are eligible under the new rules, consider withdrawing your old application and re-applying under the new rules. As processing of new applications taking about 8 months.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Dont withraw.
Just wait for your oath.
My opinion.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Shortie said:
Your PR isn't expiring, just your card.
Congrats !!!, Nice to hear that your application timeline is every great and encouraging.

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yes my PR card is expiring, and I don't understand how can they put the file for 36 months processing for failing to pass the test in first time.
I had heard that they do expedite the process if your PR card is expiring, just to save you from hassle of renewing it and obviously unnecessary extra work on the Gov, which could be eased by allowing to take my OATH CEREMONY.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
YNSAFDARI said:
Yes my PR card is expiring, and I don't understand how can they put the file for 36 months processing for failing to pass the test in first time.
I had heard that they do expedite the process if your PR card is expiring, just to save you from hassle of renewing it and obviously unnecessary extra work on the Gov, which could be eased by allowing to take my OATH CEREMONY.
CIC has some weird logic about processing of PR cards here. Looks like CIC is the sole agency which has sadistic approach and ensures how best disservice they can offer to its applicants in one way or other. ???

Couple of years back my family and kids had planned vacation, wanted to renew their PR cards which were expiring before they return to Canada. We have applied for PR renewals about 4 months before the vacation.

CIC informed us they cannot renew before 4 months and ask them to apply for visas in home country to return ? :eek:

I'm afraid, you may have to apply for PR renewal immediately. Dont rely entirely on Non-Routine processing, it takes well over 36 months.

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
Do you have "Decision Made" on your status or it's still "In Process ?
What is your local office ?

My 2 cents: Since they called you for a 2nd test and you passed, you should be good. It's just a matter of time before you receive your Oath invite letter (especially if you have Decision Made in your status).

I don't think you should withdraw as the Oath letter should be the next step in your case (If you do not have anything out of normal in your application).

As Shortie said, your PR status is not expiring, only your PR card. Even when your PR card has expired, you are still considered as a Canadian PR, you can live and work like normal, you will however have trouble getting back to Canada if you travel abroad... Just checked CIC website for the PR card renewal processing time, and it says 180 days !!!! So you better re apply to renew your card from now (Just to be on the safe side if some delay happen in your citizenship application, at least you can travel freely with your renewed PR card).

And, NO, they do not expedite your Citizenship Application because your PR card is expiring !

coolangy123

Jun 24, 2015
YNSAFDARI said:
Hi, My mother is in the same position as you. She failed first test, passed the second test in September 2015. On January 20th, she received a letter to appear for hearing with a citizenship officer in Feb. So, I think you should wait and see what happens.

Also, just curious if you had your interview taken again when you did your test again. My mother had an interview after her first test but when she passed the second test, they only informed her that she passed but they did not take any interview the second time. Just wondering if that's what happened with you as well. All the best!

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Babi22 said:
Do you have "Decision Made" on your status or it's still "In Process ?
What is your local office ?

My 2 cents: Since they called you for a 2nd test and you passed, you should be good. It's just a matter of time before you receive your Oath invite letter (especially if you have Decision Made in your status).

I don't think you should withdraw as the Oath letter should be the next step in your case (If you do not have anything out of normal in your application).

As Shortie said, your PR status is not expiring, only your PR card. Even when your PR card has expired, you are still considered as a Canadian PR, you can live and work like normal, you will however have trouble getting back to Canada if you travel abroad... Just checked CIC website for the PR card renewal processing time, and it says 180 days !!!! So you better re apply to renew your card from now (Just to be on the safe side if some delay happen in your citizenship application, at least you can travel freely with your renewed PR card).

And, NO, they do not expedite your Citizenship Application because your PR card is expiring !
I think the first step should be get the ATIP report, it will give an indication about the processing before doing anything.

The reason for my suggestion to consider "Withdrawing" and reapply was based on the application is categorized as "Non-Routine" .

"Non Routine" applications takes well over 36 months processing time. Then these are assigned to Citizenship Judges, the entire process takes longer than 36 months. Unfortunately, such cases have very negligible success rate.

I still ask the concern person to use his own judgement. Please dont get influence by my suggestion. It is based on my bitter experience with the "Non-Routine" processing and hearing with the Citizenship judge, which ultimately wasted my over 3 years.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
coolangy123 said:
Hi, My mother is in the same position as you. She failed first test, passed the second test in September 2015. On January 20th, she received a letter to appear for hearing with a citizenship officer in Feb. So, I think you should wait and see what happens.

Also, just curious if you had your interview taken again when you did your test again. My mother had an interview after her first test but when she passed the second test, they only informed her that she passed but they did not take any interview the second time. Just wondering if that's what happened with you as well. All the best!
With this time line it looks like, cases where the candidate failed the first time and then passed are NOT been considered as Non Routine. As such will NOT take 36 months. Its seems the CIC want the Citizenship Judges to have a second look and approve.

As the non routine cases normally takes over 36 months, may be those related to candidates with shortage in required minimum days for eligibility.

Tell your mom to be confident and she will surely get approved. ;D

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
YNSAFDARI said:
Having read the other applicant's similar situation and scheduled CJ hearing so soon, I believe your case is NOT non routine and will NOT take 36 months. Its could be much earlier soon like other reader's case.

Hopefully, you too will get very soon hearing date with Citizenship Judge, it could be just a formality to approve your case. ;D

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
Canadiandesi2006 said:
I think the first step should be get the ATIP report, it will give an indication about the processing before doing anything.

The reason for my suggestion to consider "Withdrawing" and reapply was based on the application is categorized as "Non-Routine" .

"Non Routine" applications takes well over 36 months processing time. Then these are assigned to Citizenship Judges, the entire process takes longer than 36 months. Unfortunately, such cases have very negligible success rate.

I still ask the concern person to use his own judgement. Please dont get influence by my suggestion. It is based on my bitter experience with the "Non-Routine" processing and hearing with the Citizenship judge, which ultimately wasted my over 3 years.
Totally understand where you're coming from Canadiandesi2006. but not all non routine cases go beyond 36 months. We still need to know if he has any Decision made or not... He might get called for a CJ hearing soon if that's the case.

ATIP request is a good idea too to find out where his application is.

If he sees that after some months there is no movement in his application, and if he qualifies with the 4/6 new rule, off course he should go ahead and re apply.... my 2 cents... still :)

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
@Babi22... my status is still " In Process "
I applied in Surrey but I got called for my test in Vancouver, and yeah after my first test which I failed having scored 14/20, the officer asked me to furnish I94 (ins & outs through US border) since my entry into Canada as landed immigrant along with coloured copies of my passport from my landing date which I hand delivered within 2 days, than I waited for my 2nd test invitation which I got for Nov 2015. Which I cleared 19/20, than there was no questions asked just told me congrats you cleared and you would have to wait 3-5 months, if all documents are in order, for oath ceremony.
ATIP does seem to be a good idea but it almost takes about a month ....

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:
I know non-routine processing means, CIC takes 36 plus months to process. Most of the non-routine applications are assigned to the Citizenship Judges, that adds few more months and in many cases are rejected on some lame excuse. It is terrible and NOT worth.

If you are eligible under the new rules, consider withdrawing your old application and re-applying under the new rules. As processing of new applications taking about 8 months.
You really enjoy giving awful advice, don't you?